Spring toy(Kinematics) check my solution(s)

• Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the spring toy reaches a height of 0.896 meters when launched at 2.24 meters per second from the ground.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

A spring toy is launched from the ground at 2.3 m/s at an angle of 78 degrees to the ground. What is the maximum height reached by the spring toy?

Homework Equations

At first i thought it was asking us to find displacement, i realized later total displacement would be 0, since it eventually comes back down, so i thought, hey theyre just asking us to find max vertical distance right?

so instead of using the following formula to find displacement(I still use it to find time)
Δdv=VvΔt+1/2aΔt^2

I decided to go with d=vt

and i used Vv=v1sin∅

The Attempt at a Solution

Vv=v1sin∅

=2.3sin78

Vv=2.24m/s

then i use this into displacement formula and solve for time.

Δdv=VvΔt+1/2aΔt^2

=2.2Δt+1/2aΔt^2

=2.2Δt+1/2(-9.8)Δt^2

=2.2Δt+(-4.9)Δt^2 (here we factor out Δt)

and we are left with

=2.2+(-4.9)Δt

4.9Δt=2.2

Δt=2.2/4.9

Δt=0.4s

now that we have both time and vertical velocity we can find max distance.

d=vt

=(2.24)(0.4)

d=0.896m

does it look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does not look right. First, when solving for the time you have assumed that the vertical displacement is zero. It is not zero at the top of its trajectory. In fact you do not yet know what the vertical displacement is (it's what you're requested to find). Second, by using the formula d = vt to find displacement, you are ignoring the fact that the velocity changes as the toy travels upwards; it's affected by the acceleration due to gravity, so d = vt doesn't apply.

There are better approaches to the problem involving other kinematic formulas. One such involves the known vertical velocities at launch at at the highest point (apex) of the trajectory, and involve the acceleration and distance... Can you think of the appropriate formula?

hm..my tutor said that since toy eventually comes down, displacement must be zero, so its asking us to find distance...i guess she was wrong, I suppose iv encountered problems like this before, where we've been asked to find vertical displacement, midway the path of a projectile, in which case we would take time and divide it by 2, and then find vertical displacement, does that apply here?

or perhaps i should just go with earlier approach where i used displacement vertical formula, instead of going with what tutor told me, that we arent looking for vertical displacement.

Last edited:
supernova1203 said:
hm..my tutor said that since toy eventually comes down, displacement must be zero, so its asking us to find distance...i guess she was wrong, I suppose iv encountered problems like this before, where we've been asked to find vertical displacement, midway the path of a projectile, in which case we would take time and divide it by 2, and then find vertical displacement, does that apply here?

or perhaps i should just go with earlier approach where i used displacement vertical formula, instead of going with what tutor told me, that we arent looking for vertical displacement.

You could find the total time from launch to landing and divide by two to find the time at apex. Then apply the formula for vertical motion to find the displacement using that time. Seems like more work than is required if you happen to know either the velocity2 formula or know how to apply conservation of energy.

hm..i don't mind more work, thanks! :) Atleast i know now what i got to do

What is a spring toy and how does it work?

A spring toy is a small, coiled metal toy that can stretch and compress. When the toy is stretched or compressed, it stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. This stored energy is then released when the toy is released, causing the toy to bounce and move in various ways.

How can you determine the spring constant of a spring toy?

The spring constant of a spring toy can be determined by measuring the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. This can be done using a force sensor and a ruler to measure the displacement of the spring. The spring constant is calculated as the ratio of force to displacement.

What is the relationship between the mass of the spring toy and its motion?

The mass of the spring toy has no direct effect on its motion. However, a heavier spring toy will require more force to stretch or compress, resulting in a higher potential energy and larger amplitude of motion.

How does the amplitude of motion of a spring toy change as it loses energy?

The amplitude of motion of a spring toy decreases as it loses energy due to friction and air resistance. This is because the stored potential energy in the spring is gradually converted into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound, resulting in a decrease in the amplitude of motion over time.

Can the motion of a spring toy be affected by external factors?

Yes, the motion of a spring toy can be affected by external factors such as the surface it is bouncing on, air resistance, and the presence of other objects that may interfere with its motion. These factors can affect the amount of energy the spring toy can store and therefore impact its motion.