Another projectile motion problem.

In summary: What am I doing wrong?In summary, the spring toy is launched from the ground at 2.3 m/s at an angle of 78° to the ground. By using the equations for vertical velocity and distance, the maximum height reached by the spring toy is approximately 0.26 meters. However, there may be an error in calculation as the resulting value is negative. Further review and clarification of the equations may be necessary.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

A spring toy is launched from the ground at 2.3 m/s at an angle of 78° to the ground. What is the maximum height reached by the spring toy?

Homework Equations

Vv = vertical velocity, V1 = initial velocity, Dv = vertical distance.
Δt = 2V1Sinθ/(acceleration)
ΔDv = VvΔt + 1/2(acceleration)(Δt^2)
Vv = V1Sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find the time, since I am given the initial velocity and the launch angle. I get a value of 0.5 seconds. Then I find the vertical velocity by using the equation above, and get about 2.24 m/s. Finally, I use all the information I calculated to find the vertical distance traveled by spring toy, and yield a negative value. What am I doing wrong? I am completely stumped as I haven't been taught any new equations to find the vertical distance. Thanks for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/physics/mechanics/curvedMotion/projectileMotion/generalSolution/generalSolution.html"

The vertical component of the initial velocity is [itex]2.3sin(78^{\circ})[/itex].
[itex]V_{f} = v_{0} + at[/itex]
[itex]t = \frac{V_{f} - v_{0}}{a} = \frac{0 - 2.3sin(78^{\circ})}{-9.81}[/itex].

[itex]D = v_{0}t + \frac{1}{2} at^{2} = (2.3sin(78^{\circ}))(\frac{0 - 2.3sin(78^{\circ})}{-9.81}) + \frac{1}{2}(-9.81)(\frac{0 - 2.3sin(78^{\circ})}{-9.81})^2 \approx .26[/itex] meters.

Last edited by a moderator:
dmouthfan2028 said:
http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/physics/mechanics/curvedMotion/projectileMotion/generalSolution/generalSolution.html"

The vertical component of the initial velocity is [itex]2.3sin(78^{\circ})[/itex].
[itex]V_{f} = v_{0} + at[/itex]
[itex]t = \frac{V_{f} - v_{0}}{a} = \frac{0 - 2.3sin(78^{\circ})}{-9.81}[/itex].

[itex]D = v_{0}t + \frac{1}{2} at^{2} = (2.3sin(78^{\circ}))(\frac{0 - 2.3sin(78^{\circ})}{-9.81}) + \frac{1}{2}(-9.81)(\frac{0 - 2.3sin(78^{\circ})}{-9.81})^2 \approx .26 m[/itex]
I used the formula and still get the same negative value.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the force of gravity.

How can I calculate the horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

To calculate the horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion, you can use the equations: Horizontal distance = initial velocity x time Vertical distance = (initial velocity x time) - (0.5 x acceleration due to gravity x time2).

Can air resistance affect projectile motion?

Yes, air resistance can affect projectile motion. It can slow down the object and change its trajectory, making it deviate from the expected parabolic path.

What are the real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, including sports like basketball and football, launching rockets and missiles, and studying the motion of projectiles in physics experiments.