Spring, weight and potential energy

In summary: Suppose you exercise a force to keep the weight in position h0, then gently lower the weight to position h. If you do it slow enough, the force is mg - kx where x runs from 0 to h and h = mg/k. The weight does work, namely ∫ F(x) dx where the integral goes from 0 to h. F(x) = mg - kx. The integral (you can do it) is \frac{1}{2}k h^2. Looks familiar ?Yes, it does.
Bromio

Homework Statement

A particle is connected to a spring at rest. Because of weight, the mass moves a distance [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. Calculate the value of the elastic constant [itex]k[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]U_{PE} = \frac{1}{2}k\Delta x^2[/itex]
[itex]U = mgh[/itex]
[itex]F = ma[/itex] (in general)
[itex]F = kx[/itex] (Hooke's Law)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve this problem from two points of view, but the result has been different in each one.

First, I've thought that, when the mass is at rest after being connected to the spring and got down to the new equilibrium position:
[itex]mg = k\Delta x \Longrightarrow \boxed{k = \frac{mg}{\Delta x}}[/itex]

However, from the point of view of energies:
[itex]mgh_0 = mgh + \frac{1}{2}k\Delta x^2[/itex] (I use [itex]\Delta x[/itex] because the initial position is 0)

As [itex]h_0 - h = \Delta x[/itex], I've got:
[itex]mg\Delta x = \frac{1}{2}k\Delta x^2 \Longrightarrow \boxed{k = \frac{2mg}{\Delta x}}[/itex]

Obviously there is a wrong factor of 2.

What's the problem here? Where is the mistake?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy case is for the situation you let go at h=0. When it is at delta x, it's still moving. Until it is a 2 delta x, when it hangs still again. But now the spring is pulling harder and up she goes!
In other words, before there is rest, some energy has to be dissipated! You now know how much.

Intuitively I understand what you say, but I don't see how to write it analytically.

I mean, as we are in a conservative field, we only have to consider initial and final states. How should I have written the main equation ([itex]mgh_0 = mgh + \frac{1}{2}k\Delta x^2[/itex]) to include what you say?

Thanks!

That would be a little difficult, precisely because it describes an isolated case. It says there is energy left over, that has to go somewhere to get the "in rest" situation. E.g. in overcoming the air resistance which heats up the air a little.

Okay. So the dissipated energy has a value of [itex]\frac{1}{2}k\Delta x^2[/itex], hasn't it?

What I don't understand is why, if we are in a conservative field, we can't just consider initial and final states. Could you explain me the reason?

Thank you.

You can, actually. It's just that it isn't a steady state. mg (h-h0) is converted into spring energy plus kinetic energy. If there is no friction, the oscillation goes on forever.

Is there a risk that we are misinterpreting the OP ? My idea was Δx is measured after the thing has come to rest.

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
You can, actually. It's just that it isn't a steady state. mg (h-h0) is converted into spring energy plus kinetic energy. If there is no friction, the oscillation goes on forever.

Is there a risk that we are misinterpreting the OP ? My idea was Δx is measured after the thing has come to rest.

No misinterpretation. Now I see all you're trying to explain. For some reason I thought there wasn't friction. It's obvious that, if there isn't it, I can't apply energy equations "at rest" situation, simply because there isn't that situation. Am I right?

So, when I study energies at the beginning ([itex]h = 0[/itex]) and at the end ([itex]h = \Delta x[/itex], when entire system is at rest) I should include that dissipated energy.

If [itex]TE_0[/itex] and [itex]PE_0[/itex] are the total mechanical energy and the potential energy at the beginning respectively, [itex]TE[/itex] and [itex]PE[/itex] are the same energies but at the end, [itex]SP[/itex] is the spring energy at the end, and [itex]Q[/itex] is the dissipated energy (say heat), then:
[itex]TE_0 = PE_0[/itex]
[itex]TE = SP + PE[/itex]
[itex]TE_0 = TE + Q[/itex]

Do I agree?

Thank you!

I can't apply energy equations "at rest" situation, simply because there isn't that situation. Am I right?
Well, there is of course an "at rest" situation, it's just that it doesn't have the same energy as the situation where you attach the weight to the spring.

So, when I study energies at the beginning (h=0) and at the end (h=Δx, when entire system is at rest) I should include that dissipated energy.
Yes. in fact, you can probably do that yourself: Suppose you exercise a force to keep the weight in position h0, then gently lower the weight to position h. If you do it slow enough, the force is mg - kx where x runs from 0 to h and h = mg/k. The weight does work, namely ∫ F(x) dx where the integral goes from 0 to h. F(x) = mg - kx. The integral (you can do it) is [itex]\frac{1}{2}k h^2[/itex]. Looks familiar ?

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Well, there is of course an "at rest" situation, it's just that it doesn't have the same energy as the situation where you attach the weight to the spring.

When I say that there isn't an "at rest" situation I'm talking about the frictionless case. If there isn't friction, the spring will experiment an non-stop simple harmonic motion, won't it?

BvU said:
Yes. in fact, you can probably do that yourself: Suppose you exercise a force to keep the weight in position h0, then gently lower the weight to position h. If you do it slow enough, the force is mg - kx where x runs from 0 to h and h = mg/k. The weight does work, namely ∫ F(x) dx where the integral goes from 0 to h. F(x) = mg - kx. The integral (you can do it) is [itex]\frac{1}{2}k h^2[/itex]. Looks familiar ?

Thank you! I've solved that integral and I've got that result. Amazing!

1. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the potential energy of a spring?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness of a spring, is directly proportional to the potential energy of the spring. This means that as the spring constant increases, the potential energy stored in the spring also increases.

2. How does the weight of an object affect its potential energy when attached to a spring?

The weight of an object attached to a spring affects its potential energy by changing the equilibrium position of the spring. A heavier object will cause the spring to stretch further and store more potential energy compared to a lighter object.

3. Can potential energy be converted into kinetic energy in a spring-weight system?

Yes, potential energy stored in a spring can be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released. As the spring returns to its equilibrium position, the stored potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the weight to move.

4. How does the spring constant affect the motion of the weight attached to the spring?

The spring constant affects the motion of the weight by determining the strength of the restoring force of the spring. A higher spring constant will result in a stronger restoring force, causing the weight to oscillate faster and with greater amplitude.

5. Is the potential energy of a spring-weight system affected by the height at which the weight is attached?

No, the potential energy of a spring-weight system is not affected by the height at which the weight is attached. The potential energy is solely determined by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position, not the height at which the weight is placed.