Springs and potential/kinetic energy

In summary, a 0.50-kg mass attached to a spring with a spring constant of 20 N/m is oscillating in simple harmonic motion on a horizontal, frictionless surface. The amplitude of vibration is 0.24 meters. The location where the kinetic energy and potential energy are equal is at a distance of 0.17 meters from the equilibrium position. The total energy remains constant throughout the motion.
Carrie

Homework Statement

A 0.50-kg mass is attached to a spring of spring constant 20 N/m along a horizontal, frictionless surface. The object oscillates in simple harmonic motion and has a speed of 1.5 m/s at the equilibrium position.

(a) What is the amplitude of vibration?
I already solved for the amplitude and got 0.24 meters.

(b) At what location are the kinetic energy and the potential energy the same?
?

Homework Equations

E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2

I thought I would set the kinetic energy and potential energy equal to each other, so I got:

1/2(.5)(1.5)^2 = 1/2(20)x^2
From that, I got x = .24 meters.

But that's wrong and the answer is 0.17 meters. I'm confused as to where I went wrong. :(

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Carrie said:
I thought I would set the kinetic energy and potential energy equal to each other, so I got:

1/2(.5)(1.5)^2 = 1/2(20)x^2

Why did you use 1.5 m/s for the speed here?

Oh, the 1.5 m/s is for the equilibrium position, which I guess isn't necessarily the same position?

Right. The location where the KE equals the PE is not the equilibrium position.

Likes Titan97
I'm sorry, but now I'm really lost. How do I find v then, or am I using the wrong the wrong equation or something?

What can you say about the total energy E at different points of the motion?

The total energy stays the same.

Carrie said:
The total energy stays the same.
Yes. If you pick any two points of the motion, then E is the same for those two points. You probably used that idea when answering part (a).

See if you can use the same idea to help solve (b).

Ohhh okay, so if at equilibrium, the total energy (when PE is 0) is 1/2 mv^2, which is 0.56 J, then when they're the same:

0.56 (total energy in the system) = 2* 1/2kx^2 - I'm not sure if the theory is right, but since KE = PE, then KE+PE becomes PE + PE and so you can multiply by two. Maybe. Because I did get the answer this way, but I also want to make sure I didn't just get lucky.
x = 0.17 m.

You are thinking correctly. Good work.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help!

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. In the case of a spring, potential energy is stored when it is stretched or compressed.

2. How does a spring store potential energy?

A spring stores potential energy through the elastic potential energy it possesses. When a force is applied to stretch or compress the spring, it stores potential energy that can be released when the force is removed.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a spring, kinetic energy is present when the spring is in motion, such as when it is bouncing up and down.

4. How are potential and kinetic energy related in a spring?

In a spring, potential and kinetic energy are interconverted. When the spring is stretched or compressed, it has potential energy. As it is released and begins to move, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

5. What factors affect the potential and kinetic energy of a spring?

The potential and kinetic energy of a spring are affected by the amount of stretch or compression, the stiffness of the spring, and the mass of the object attached to the spring. The greater the stretch or compression, the stiffer the spring, and the heavier the object, the more potential and kinetic energy the spring will possess.