Sprockets, chains, and gears question

In summary: So a 40BS13 3/4 from the BS system will not fit on an Ansi 40 chain.In summary, the 40B10H-3/4 chain is a standard chain for a ½ inch roller pitch and it is compatible with the Ansi 40 chain.
Le Luc
hello. I'm tring to find a compatible sprocket for my chain. I need to know what these abbreviations mean here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ket+40+3/4.TRS0&_nkw=sprocket+40+3/4&_sacat=0

For example, what does a 40B10H-3/4 mean? Or a 40BS13 3/4"?
I think the 40 represents the chain # it supports, but I what numbers represent the size of the gear? Is it radius or diameter and what unit is it in?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
40B10H-3/4=
#40 Roller Chain. (½” roller pitch).
Type B, finished bore.
10 Tooth.
Hardened.
3/4" diameter bore.

Likes Le Luc
Baluncore said:
40B10H-3/4=
#40 Roller Chain. (½” roller pitch).
Type B, finished bore.
10 Tooth.
Hardened.
3/4" diameter bore.

Thank you very much! Do you know what the S means in 40BS13 3/4? Thank you!

The 'S' is a variation of hub design. Maybe; Set screw(s) to position sprocket and key on the shaft?
You will need to see the manufacturers data for that one.

Le Luc said:
hello. I'm tring to find a compatible sprocket for my chain. I need to know what these abbreviations mean here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ket+40+3/4.TRS0&_nkw=sprocket+40+3/4&_sacat=0

For example, what does a 40B10H-3/4 mean? Or a 40BS13 3/4"?
I think the 40 represents the chain # it supports, but I what numbers represent the size of the gear? Is it radius or diameter and what unit is it in?

Thank you!
There are 2 main standards in the western world for chain specifications being the US ANSI system and the British BS system. The BS System uses the chain pitch identifier as multiples of 16 to theinch. So a bs16 chain is 1 inch pitch while a bs 10 chain is 5/8 inch pitch etc. The ANSI system uses multiples of 8 to the inch. So an Ansi 40 is 1/2 inch pitch standard chain. It it is heavy duty it will have H afterwards. Both chains standards are not interchangeable for the same pitch.

What is the difference between sprockets, chains, and gears?

Sprockets, chains, and gears are all mechanical components used in machines to transfer motion or power from one part to another. Sprockets are toothed wheels that mesh with the links of a chain, while gears are toothed wheels that mesh with other gears. Chains are used to connect sprockets or gears and transmit power between them.

What are the main functions of sprockets, chains, and gears?

The main function of sprockets is to transmit rotary motion from one shaft to another using a chain. Chains are used to transfer power between sprockets or gears. Gears are used to transmit motion and power between two rotating shafts.

What materials are sprockets, chains, and gears typically made of?

Sprockets, chains, and gears can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, aluminum, plastic, and even wood. The specific material used depends on the application and the desired strength, durability, and weight of the component.

How do sprockets, chains, and gears differ in terms of their design and functionality?

Sprockets, chains, and gears have different designs and functions depending on their specific application. Sprockets and gears have teeth that mesh with each other to transmit motion, while chains connect sprockets or gears and transfer power between them. The size and shape of the teeth, as well as the number and arrangement of sprockets, gears, and chains, can also vary greatly.

What are some common uses for sprockets, chains, and gears?

Sprockets, chains, and gears have a wide range of uses in various machines and mechanical systems. They are commonly found in bicycles, motorcycles, cars, industrial equipment, and many other types of machinery. They are also used in clocks, watches, and other devices that require precise motion and power transmission.