Square of the Riemann zeta-function in terms of the divisor summatory function.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
AtomSeven
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi,

The divisor summatory function, [tex]D(x)[/tex], can be obtained from [tex]\zeta^{2}(s)[/tex] by [tex]D(x)=\frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_{c-i \infty}^{c+i \infty}\zeta^{2}(w)\frac{x^{w}}{w}dw[/tex] and I was trying to express [tex]\zeta^{2}(s)[/tex] in terms of [tex]D(x)[/tex] but I didnt succeed, could someone help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I've done this by a different approach considering that [tex]d(n)=D(n)-D(n-1)[/tex] and [tex]D(0)=0[/tex] it follows that
[tex] \begin{align}<br /> \zeta^{2}(s)&=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sigma_{0}(n)}{n^{s}}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{D(n)-D(n-1)}{n^{s}} \nonumber\\<br /> &=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{D(n)}{n^{s}}-\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{D(n-1)}{n^{s}}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{D(n)}{n^{s}}-\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{D(n)}{(n+1)^{s}} \nonumber\\<br /> &=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}D(n)\bigg\{ \frac{1}{n^{s}} - \frac{1}{(n+1)^{s}} \bigg\}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}D(n)\int_{n}^{n+1}\frac{s}{x^{s+1}} dx \nonumber\\<br /> &=s\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\int_{n}^{n+1}\frac{D(x)}{x^{s+1}} dx =s\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{D(x)}{x^{s+1}} dx \nonumber<br /> \end{align}[/tex]

So it would be interesting to see if anyone could solve this using the Mellin inversion aproach.

--
Seven
 
from the properties of Mellin transform i would bet that

[tex]D= \sum_{n\le x}\sigma_{0} = \sum_{n\ge1}[(x/n)][/tex]

since the Mellin transform of [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}f(xn)[/tex] is [tex]\zeta (s) F(s)[/tex]here [x] means the floor function
 
Hy everyone,

I think that some time ago I've seen [tex]D(x)[/tex] expressed in terms of the roots of the [tex]\zeta(s)[/tex] function. Does anyone knows of references about this?
 
Eynstone said:
Use the Mellin inversion formula.

I don't see how to do that. Can you show me (and the OP I assume too) how to do that please?

I did try ok. If I need to show my work, I could but I got to a spot where I tried to represent the integrand in the form that I think I could have inverted it, the inversion didn't come out well.
 
For those interested here is a refference:

M. Lukkarinen, The Mellin transform of the square of Riemann’s zeta-function and Atkinson’s formula, Doctoral Dissertation, Annales Acad. Sci. Fennicae, No. 140, Helsinki, 2005