1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square root function: x intercept paradox?

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    Here's my equation y= sqrt (x+4)+1

I want to find the x intercept. Ok so i replace y with 0 and solve for x
    0= √(x+4)+1
    -1=√(×+4)
    (-1)2=×+4
    1=×+4
    -3=×

So it looks like the x intercept is (-3,0)

But then when i go back and plug in -3 in place of x...
    y=√(-3+4)+1
    y=1+1
    y=2

I now have a point (-3,2)!

I checked the graph and it accepts the point (-3,2). So whats wrong with my first work putting in 0 for y and giving me (-3,0)? Please help me understand

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Here is the problem. The square root cannot be negative so the first line does not have solutions.
    By squaring you create additional solutions to the equation which are not real.

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    Thx for the response!

So then, is it classified as an imaginary root?

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you look for x intercepts, you probably look for real values. There are imaginary values of x where the function (seen as complex function) is zero, yes.

6. Aug 1, 2015 #5
    The thing with square root functions is whenever you attempt to solve for x, you end up turning them into conical parabolas. This means you can get x-intercepts for the conical parabola which don't actually exist for the square root function.

7. Aug 8, 2015 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You have the upper branch of a square root function, and it has been shifted UPWARD by 1 unit, and therefore what once was an x-axis intercept has been stopped; as well as any intersection with the x-axis.

(I made a drawing and saved, using "whiteboard" but the file is missing and is therefore not available to upload.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted