1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square Root Of 2 Irrationality Proof

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    Hi, I'm having trouble understanding some statements in this proof from my textbook:

"Thus, 2 = s^2/t^2 and 2t^2 = s^2. Since s^2 and t^2 are squares, s^2 contains an even number of 2's as prime factors (This is our Q statement), and t^2 contains an even number of 2's. But then t^2 contains an odd number of 2's as factors. Since 2t^2 = s^2, s^2 has an odd number of 2's. (This is the statement ~Q.) This is a contradiction, because s2 cannot have both an even and an odd number of 2's asfactors. We conclude that sqrt(2) is irrational."

Why does he assume that t^2 contains an odd number of 2's all of a sudden? ... and even if it did, s^2 would still be even, because it is equal to 2t^2, not t^2. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is something funny in the phrasing; did you copy it exactly? Anyways, he didn't assume, because having an odd number of factors of 2 is a consequence of the previous observations.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    yes I copied it exactly. ok, let me see if I get it:

t^2 must have an odd number of 2's because it equals s^2/2, and s^2 has an even number of twos (because any squared number has an even number of twos). but why not stop at that? isn't that a contradiction already? ... and the second statement still makes no sense to me, because if you multiply a number with an odd number of twos as factors (2t) by two, then you have an even number of twos, so why does he say s^2 is odd after 2t^2 = s^2?.

I assume, as usual, I'm overlooking something very obvious :biggrin:

5. Jan 24, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes it is.

6. Jan 24, 2009 #5
    Well s^2 is an even number right? (since it equals 2t^2 and t is an integer therefore s^2 = 2k, for k \in Z ) but it's also a perfect square which means s is an even number I believe. Well if s is an even number then s^2 must contain an even number of 2s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook