Square-sectioned support - help please

• Thread starter dkaczan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, a square-sectioned support is a structural support with a square cross-section, commonly used in construction and engineering projects. It differs from other supports in its consistent square shape and provides several advantages, such as equal weight distribution and cost-effectiveness. It is commonly used in building, bridge construction, and engineering projects, and the appropriate size and material should be determined based on the specific application and load requirements with the help of a professional.
dkaczan
Hey, I am trying to get my head around stress in supports, I came across this question and struggling to get to the correct answer, could anyone help explain it?

Equation - σ = F\A

Question - A square-sectioned support of side 12 mm is loaded with a compressive force of 10 kN. Determine the compressive stress in the support.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
D

Engineering news on Phys.org
STRESS = FORCE/AREA = 10000/ 144 = 69.44 N/sq. mm

1. What is a square-sectioned support?

A square-sectioned support is a type of structural support that has a square cross-section. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects to provide stability and strength to a structure.

2. How is a square-sectioned support different from other types of supports?

A square-sectioned support differs from other types of supports, such as round or triangular supports, in its shape. The square cross-section allows for more even distribution of weight and provides greater stability compared to other shapes.

3. What materials are commonly used for square-sectioned supports?

The most common materials used for square-sectioned supports are steel, wood, and concrete. These materials offer strength and durability, making them suitable for supporting heavy loads and withstanding various environmental conditions.

4. In what applications are square-sectioned supports typically used?

Square-sectioned supports are commonly used in a variety of applications, including building and bridge construction, as well as in the manufacturing of furniture and other structures that require strong support.

5. How do I determine the appropriate size of a square-sectioned support for my project?

The size of a square-sectioned support will depend on the weight and load-bearing requirements of your project. It is best to consult with a structural engineer who can analyze the specific needs of your project and recommend the appropriate size and material for your square-sectioned support.