Stability of droplets - using Unduloids

• Thread starter rsr_life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stability
In summary, a droplet on a bristles of a comb or tips of blades of grass will have an elongated shape, while a droplet on a jet or liquid bridge will have a spherical shape.
rsr_life
Hello,

I'm an Electrical engineering student taking a class on surface chemistry. I've been given a problem where I need to analyse the stability of droplets using Unduloids.

I have some lecture notes on unduloids in the context of this subject and it's quite limited, but every other online reference talks about the diff geometry aspect of unduloids.

Could someone point me to a good online reference for this topic, or a book that deals extensively with surface chemistry concepts, that I can get at the univ library?

If you could also include an explanation for this sort of analysis, that would be quite helpful. Also, I hope this is the right sub-forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to look up 'unduloid', but it's simply a surface of constant curvature. Interfacial energy acts to minimize the interfacial area of a multifluid system. That's the essence of the Laplace equation [itex]\Delta P = -\sigma \kappa[/itex] which relates the (local) pressure jump across an interface to the product of interfacial energy and (local) mean curvature.

So, drops are spherical in the absence of gravity, and a perturbed spherical section when gravity is present (the relevant dimensionless parameter is the Bond number). Jets and liquid bridges form 'amphora' shapes with gravity present, and unduloids with gravity absent.

Chandrasekhar's book "hydrodynamic and hydromagnetic stability" (dover) has an excellent chapter that solves the problem of jet stability.

As another point of reference, you may try "Plateau's problem"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plateau_problem

But the modern treatment of the problem is all about differential geometry.

Thanks for the reply, Andy. That's a different and a more coherent view describing the various shapes that a drop can take.

That would help describe the slightly elongated shape of droplets on the bristles of a stiff comb or tips of blades of grass.

The next thing to do as a follow up would be to look up the effects that regular forces have on drops and bubbles - I should hope to get a clearer idea in that direction, in terms of analyzing such problems.

Thanks again.

1. What are Unduloids and why are they important for understanding droplet stability?

Unduloids are a shape that droplets can form into under certain conditions. They are important because they can provide insights into the stability of droplets, which is crucial for many fields such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and fluid mechanics.

2. How do Unduloids form in droplets?

Unduloids form when a droplet is placed on a surface that is hydrophobic (repels water). The droplet will spread out until it reaches a critical size, at which point it will form an undulating shape with multiple peaks and valleys.

3. What factors affect the stability of droplets in Unduloid form?

The stability of droplets in Unduloid form is influenced by the surface tension of the liquid, the contact angle between the droplet and the surface, and the surface properties (e.g. hydrophobicity) of the surface.

4. How can studying Unduloids help in the development of new technologies?

Understanding the stability of droplets in Unduloid form can aid in the development of new technologies, such as controlled drug release systems and improved oil recovery techniques. It can also help in designing surfaces with specific properties for various applications.

5. Are there any practical applications of Unduloids in everyday life?

Yes, there are several practical applications of Unduloids in everyday life. For example, they can be used to create self-cleaning surfaces, improve the efficiency of solar panels, and enhance the performance of microfluidic devices.