Computational project ideas for magnetic materials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle to find a suitable topic for their end-of-semester project on magnetism/magnetic materials. They mention their comfort with statistical analysis in R and general proficiency with Python. The speaker is ideally looking for a dataset that includes alloys with data on physical properties and other variables for a multiple linear regression model. They also consider simulations and optimizations of magnetic shielding using netic and co-netic mu-metal materials. Another suggestion is to verify the Ising Model of ferromagnetism through simulations.
tm64
For my end-of-semester project, I was tasked to investigate an aspect of magnetism/magnetic materials, to do some literature review on the topic, and code a mathematical model and display my results graphically. I couldn't find anything I wanted to do, so I asked the professor to assign me a topic - big mistake. What he assigned me seems totally out of reach of my knowledge, and I'm struggling to produce anything meaningful as the deadline quickly approaches.

For reference, I'm comfortable with statistical analysis in R and have a general proficiency with Python.

Ideally, there would be some kind of dataset that has a bunch of alloys with data regarding some physical property (I guess conductivity would count?) as well as some other variables such as composition or grain size etc. as independent variables, and I could model the conductivity (or whatever property) through a multiple linear regression of the other variables. Ideally, this would be something that could be completed quite quickly and would be within grasp of an underachieving undergrad...

Is anyone aware of any data sets that have these specifications? And perhaps some references detailing the physical explanation of the relationships for the literature review portion?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if it fits your requirements, but you could do some simulations and optimizations of magnetic shielding using the combination of netic and co-netic mu-metal shield materials. Magnetic Shield Corporation has lots of information about shielding materials and applications:

https://www.magnetic-shield.com/

https://www.magnetic-shield.com/all-about-shielding-faqs/

https://www.magnetic-shield.com/material-types/

The two materials are used in combination with one material surrounding the other to optimize the magnetic shielding effect. The highest mu material does the best job of shielding, but saturates if it is not thick enough. Adding the lower mu material in a laminate fashion helps to optimize the overall thickness and cost of the shield.

We use such shielding in a product that has sold in high volume -- it is an electronic device that is about a cubic inch in size and can be placed in pretty magnetically noisy environments (like next to switching power supplies with open magnetics). We had Magnetic Shield Corporation help us to design a nested pair of 5-sided shield cups that fit over our product.

You could do your simulations with various choices of netic and co-netic materials and different thicknesses to show how to optimize the shield combination for cost and thickness... :smile:

1620738208992.png

1620738448292.png

• Love
Likes tm64, dlgoff and Astronuc
If you want something statistical, how about a simulation that could verify the Ising Model of ferromagnetism. You could vary the material properties to found out where it breaks down.

Likes tm64
berkeman said:
I'm not sure if it fits your requirements, but you could do some simulations and optimizations of magnetic shielding using the combination of netic and co-netic mu-metal shield materials. Magnetic Shield Corporation has lots of information about shielding materials and applications:

https://www.magnetic-shield.com/

https://www.magnetic-shield.com/all-about-shielding-faqs/

https://www.magnetic-shield.com/material-types/

The two materials are used in combination with one material surrounding the other to optimize the magnetic shielding effect. The highest mu material does the best job of shielding, but saturates if it is not thick enough. Adding the lower mu material in a laminate fashion helps to optimize the overall thickness and cost of the shield.

We use such shielding in a product that has sold in high volume -- it is an electronic device that is about a cubic inch in size and can be placed in pretty magnetically noisy environments (like next to switching power supplies with open magnetics). We had Magnetic Shield Corporation help us to design a nested pair of 5-sided shield cups that fit over our product.

You could do your simulations with various choices of netic and co-netic materials and different thicknesses to show how to optimize the shield combination for cost and thickness... :smile:

View attachment 282888

View attachment 282889
awesome, thanks for the idea.
seems straight forward enough and there's plenty of info on this page
anorlunda said:
If you want something statistical, how about a simulation that could verify the Ising Model of ferromagnetism. You could vary the material properties to found out where it breaks down.
also sounds like an interesting idea, thanks

Likes berkeman

1. What are some potential applications of computational projects for magnetic materials?

Some potential applications of computational projects for magnetic materials include developing more efficient and powerful magnets for use in technology, studying the properties of magnetic materials for use in data storage and sensing devices, and exploring the potential for magnetic materials in renewable energy technologies.

2. What are some common techniques used in computational projects for magnetic materials?

Common techniques used in computational projects for magnetic materials include density functional theory (DFT), molecular dynamics simulations, Monte Carlo simulations, and micromagnetic simulations.

3. How can computational projects for magnetic materials contribute to scientific understanding?

Computational projects for magnetic materials can contribute to scientific understanding by providing insights into the behavior and properties of magnetic materials at the atomic and molecular level. They can also help to predict and understand the behavior of complex magnetic systems that are difficult to study experimentally.

4. Are there any open-source software tools available for computational projects on magnetic materials?

Yes, there are several open-source software tools available for computational projects on magnetic materials, such as VASP, Quantum ESPRESSO, and OOMMF. These tools are widely used and continuously developed by the scientific community.

5. What are some potential challenges in conducting computational projects for magnetic materials?

Some potential challenges in conducting computational projects for magnetic materials include the need for high-performance computing resources, the complexity of the mathematical models used, and the need for accurate and reliable input parameters for simulations. Additionally, the interpretation of results and comparison with experimental data can also be challenging.