Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stagnant water is providing mosquitoes an excellent breeding spot

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    It has become intolerable. I have to shut all the windows in the house by 5PM, failing which I am mauled by an army of mosquitoes every single night. I have killed more than 100 (not exaggerating) past few nights. I have mosquito repellent which I apply on myself before I head to sleep, but I still get bitten early in the morning when it wears off.

The primary problem is that no one here is keeping the city clean and the backwater sewages have become clogged with garbage. The stagnant water is providing mosquitoes an excellent breeding spot. In spite of many ways that have been tried to curb this, the people keep littering.

Seeing that I cannot tackle the problem at the source, what can I do to save myself? This is just horrible!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: Mosquitoes!

Fine mosquito netting draped over and around your bed should protect you while you sleep. If the problem is as severe as you describe, it should be known by public health authorities. They may have access to mosquito netting and pesticides to prevent the spread of malaria and other diseases.

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3

I would try burning aromatic incense, and lighting as many candles as you can to disrupt their flight with updrafts.

What city do you live in?

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you put screens on your windows?

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5

Have to think about bed-netting. That will only be a partial solution. For at least 6 or more hours, I'm awake swatting these dratted creatures while trying to study.

It is severe. They are 'smoking' every street (the smoke consists of some chemicals which is supposedly harmful to mosquitoes), but the effect doesn't last very long. The authorities can only do so much. The people don't have the slightest brains/ concern. What's more, they have the gall to complain about the problem too. Idiots!

Tried that, but that isn't very effective. How many candles can I light? They just keep coming.

Chennai, India

I can, but I've been getting mixed reviews about these. The mosquitoes also pop up from the kitchen sink, bathrooms, or any other water source for that matter. I also have this very large window in the porch which will be quite difficult to cover due to its odd shape. As I mentioned in the OP, I also shut all the windows in the house by 5, but still these creatures are swarming above me as I type.

However, I need think about this one as it seems to be the best option thus far. In contrast to shutting the windows, I at least will get fresh air.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  7. Feb 3, 2010 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What repellants do you use? Make sure that they have the active ingredient DEET in them, otherwise it will be a waste of your money.

8. Feb 3, 2010 #7

I have a small ceramic fan heater that sometimes pulled in mosquitoes. The heat would singe them, not necessarily killing them immediately, but on the floor they'd go until they died. Didn't catch all of them, but I suppose if you surrounded yourself with a few, that might be interesting. Alternatively, maybe a large room fan or two blowing away from you.

wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_control

This is interesing:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123680870885500701.html

9. Feb 3, 2010 #8

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  10. Feb 3, 2010 #9
  11. Feb 4, 2010 #10

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Also, vitamin B1, although it needs to be taken for a couple of weeks before it makes the skin less attractive to mosquitoes.

12. Feb 4, 2010 #11
  13. Feb 4, 2010 #12

HA! Yeah. Just what I need now.

I have mosquito coils. Those things emit smoke and my eyes begin watering. There is a new variety now which is supposedly non-smoke, but I still can't stand it. I use it every night though. And I sleep under the fan.

Eh? What's this?? Never heard of this. Could you please provide some links that explain this stuff? How useful is it?

http://www.offprotects.com/insect-bites/

This is the one I use. 25% DEET. What is that and how does it help?

14. Feb 4, 2010 #13

Okay. I Wiki-ed DEET. How safe is it though? Can I apply it often? Will it not harm my skin?

15. Feb 4, 2010 #14

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

I don't like coils much either. And I don't know much about the vitamins. They were mentioned by someone in medicine when our kids were bitten much more often than others. I couldn't say that was the reason why they were and I can't really say whether or not it worked well because after that we kept them near fans after dusk.

16. Feb 4, 2010 #15

agreed, and/or put the netting on every window--

the USA used to have a lot of the mosquito 'diseases' but with screens on most windows now its decreased quite a bit

17. Feb 4, 2010 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are also repellants containing permethrin you can apply to your clothing instead of your skin. Once applied to the clothing, it'll last a couple of weeks, even with laundering. I would apply DEET sparingly, to areas of skin exposed when wearing clothing.

I'm a little puzzled about the mosquitoes hatching out of your sink drains. They must be laying eggs in the traps. I think once you stop them coming in the windows, you might then be able to control the ones growing in inside water sources with just a little chlorine bleach poured into the drains.

18. Feb 4, 2010 #17

do the drains have traps? S or P traps?

2006-1-13_S_trap_to_P_trap_FINAL_w550.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  19. Feb 5, 2010 #18

How do I find out? From the sink to the drain area, the shape is like an 'L'. Neither S nor P. Am I looking at something else?

Okay. I shall keep that in mind. What exactly is harmful about DEET?

I shall try that.

20. Feb 5, 2010 #19

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know if DEET is harmful, but I have a medical disability from exposures to fragrance chemicals, so I avoid contact with DEET. I wear a Stetson hat when working in the garden, and I wear a light long-sleeved cotton shirt. I put insect repellent on the brim of my hat and on the cuffs of my shirt, and that is enough.

21. Feb 5, 2010 #20

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've used DEET throughout many a summer, with no perceptible side effects. For best results I would apply it to thin-skin areas, like the ears, neck, wrists, ankles -- also liberally pour on the hair for a lasting DEET "aura."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook