Am I too old to be starting from the bottom?

• Thread starter Latecomer
  • Start date
In summary, the author is a 29-year-old electrician who is taking classes part-time to get his degree in astrophysics. He is hoping to eventually work in the engineering field, but knows that he may not be as smart as others and may need to start from scratch. He is worried that he is too old to start from scratch, but is reassured by others on the forum who have done the same. He also asks his wife to downsize their expenses so that he can focus on his education.
Latecomer
Hello all, I've been a lurker on these forums for quite a while now. I appreciate all the info I've scavenged from many of you.
Let me give you a bit of background on myself:

My teen years were a disaster. I won't get into why, but I was not a good kid. I rarely went to school and wound up dropping out Junior year. I did get excellent grades when I went, though. I got my GED and got accepted into an electrician apprenticeship at 18, right around the time I met my current wife.
My wife got accepted to University of Chicago and we moved near the campus. I supported her while she did her undergrad ( major was biology/ pre-med). The plan was for me to support her through school, and when she made enough money I would then go to school. Well I kinda messed that up, too, by getting her pregnant. (although it wound up being the best thing that ever happened to me. I love my son more than anything) Anyways, she decided having a kid and going to med school wasn't going to work, so after getting her undergrad she entered nursing with the plan of eventually becoming a CRNA ( nurse anesthetist).

She's now a few years out from becoming a CRNA, and being able to support our current lifestyle. I'm pulling my hair out waiting for my chance to go to school. I do good financially as an electrician (80 - 90k a year depending on overtime) but I detest my job. It's really not a bad job, it's just that it's not interesting at all and I don't use my head at all. I want to feel like I'm really using my god-given abilities and contribute even a little something to the world. My son is old enough now that I have free time at nights so I've finally started taking classes part-time at night. (online classes at a community college).
It's laughable, but I'm 29 and taking Comp I and Pre-Calc. I've got to start somewhere. I was a bit unsure how I would handle going back to school after so many years, but I'm easily getting A's in these classes and I'm really enjoying myself. I know that a few years from now, I'll be able to leave my current job and go to school full-time, but I still feel like I'm just treading water and getting too old. I'm already 10 years behind schedule.
My passion has always been astronomy/astrophysics, but I'm also realistic. I may be overrating how smart I am, and I realize I might not have what it takes to go that far in my education. My aim, though, will be astrophysics, and I'll take it wherever it leads me, whether that be getting a BS in physics and landing a job in a related field or whatever. I also wonder if my 10 years of being an electrician would make me a natural fit for engineering, but again my true passion is astrophysics.
Truth is, ten years ago there's no way I would have been able to buckle down and study hard in school. But I've developed an incredible work ethic, and I have clear goals now. I certainly know what I DON'T want to do for the rest of my life.

So my questions are:

Am I too old to be starting from scratch in this field? Even if in a few years I should have complete financial freedom? Are there any other success stories like this out there, where someone has started school this late? I'll have the added benefit of getting a job and education for what I enjoy, rather than worrying about the salary.

Also, I've been told that If I do well in my junior college classes then 4 year universities won't even look at my high school grades. Is this true?

And this might not be the best spot to ask this, but do you think it's unfair of me to ask my wife to downsize our current home and expenses so I can cut back on hours at work and pick up more classes right away? After all, I did support her financially for most of the past ten years.

Thanks for your time. I know this is pretty long-winded and a bit personal, but I respect the opinions of many of you on this board.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much cash have you got saved up right now ? The reason I ask is maybe you should save up a bunch of money and quit your job while you bust your *** in school. You probably don't need to save up since your wife will probably help you out, but it would reduce the burden on her.

Last edited:
Well, in my mind, if it takes you to change your path to be happy, then you've got to change your path, no matter how old you are. I've definitely known some older guys (late twenties to mid thirties) in my aerospace engineering courses and they were pretty much the same as everybody else. At first it seemed a little weird they were a lot older, but after having 3-4 classes with those guys, they were just as cool (and capable) as anybody else. Go for it!

I don't believe you are too old...I see a few 40+ year olds floating around my campus. Also my dad is going to go to university after he is retired (he is an accomplished business man btw) Also did you know bill gates went back and got his degree a few years ago?

Latecomer said:
Also, I've been told that If I do well in my junior college classes then 4 year universities won't even look at my high school grades. Is this true?

In the UK the rule is "If you are age 25 or over any academic achievemnts attained prior to age 21 can not be considered". They place a lot of value in the experience mature students have; your 10 years as an Electrician should be of great worth in admissions.

All relatively old bastards share your worries (me included) - you are definitely not too old.

I reckon that you don't need to worry about being too old and that if you are confident enough, i say go ahead and do it. Its like they say, better late than never.

Thanks guys. I guess I was just picturing myself being almost 40 when I get a degree and having trouble competing against people 10 years younger than me. But in reality, I'm not going to worry about how good of a job I can get. I think I'll just be happy if I can get a job in the field or a related field.

Raizy said:
How much cash have you got saved up right now ? The reason I ask is maybe you should save up a bunch of money and quit your job while you bust your *** in school. You probably don't need to save up since your wife will probably help you out, but it would reduce the burden on her.

Not a whole lot, unfortunately. We made a bad decision and bought a big house a few years back. That's why I want to admit my mistake, and downsize, but my wife loves our house.

Noo said:
In the UK the rule is "If you are age 25 or over any academic achievemnts attained prior to age 21 can not be considered". They place a lot of value in the experience mature students have; your 10 years as an Electrician should be of great worth in admissions.

All relatively old bastards share your worries (me included) - you are definitely not too old.

That's a good policy. I hope US is the same way. I've always felt that too many important things in your adult life hinge on those few years when you're a teenager. Many teenagers go through some rough times and are incredibly irresponsible, and then screw themselves later on in life.

Latecomer said:
Thanks guys. I guess I was just picturing myself being almost 40 when I get a degree

Well, you're going to be 40 one way or the other. Would you rather it be with a degree or without one?

Latecomer said:
Anyways, she decided having a kid and going to med school wasn't going to work, so after getting her undergrad she entered nursing with the plan of eventually becoming a CNA ( nurse anesthetist).

Just to clarify, a nurse anesthetist is a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist), and a CNA is a Certified Nursing Assistant.

No way are you too old man. I am in sort of the same position but only 23, I trust even ten years on I would still pursue this dream. Some of us are just too curious about our universe to be happy living a "normal" life. We only get a glimpse at this wondrous universe for a short time, it's never to late to explore it.

tricotchick said:
Just to clarify, a nurse anesthetist is a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist), and a CNA is a Certified Nursing Assistant.

Yes, my mistake. She'll be a CRNA. Surprisingly very good salary, too.

Latecomer said:
Yes, my mistake. She'll be a CRNA. Surprisingly very good salary, too.
No surprise. It's getting very tough to recruit and retain people with medical specialties, especially in rural regions. People with specialized medical certifications are among the highest-paid folks around here.

You are never too old to pursue your passion! I prefer being in class with older people as they are generally much more mature than many younger students :)

Is your lack of confidence in your ability the only thing that would prevent you from going to grad school? If it is, well to my understanding you don't have to be a genius just a hard worker, something you appear to be. Good luck!

I have a related question. What jobs are available in astronomy/astrophysics besides teaching, and what kind of credentials do you need for these jobs?

renob said:
I have a related question. What jobs are available in astronomy/astrophysics besides teaching, and what kind of credentials do you need for these jobs?
I have a young friend who is attending the University of Arizona. Their astronomy department is associated with world-class observatories, and they have fabrication facilities on-site to make sensors, huge mirrors, etc. If you go to a school like that you can figure out where your interests lie, specialize, and get the experience needed to keep working in the field. As a freshman, my friend was allowed to intern as an operator of the on-campus observatory, and to work on building a specialized sensor.

SETI Baby!

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, you're going to be 40 one way or the other. Would you rather it be with a degree or without one?

Exactly what I was going to say! Go for it, Latecomer, and don't look back.

I say keep pushing and go for it!

I'm in a similar position myself. I'm currently 26 years old. I dropped out of community college 8 years ago to work full time. In that time, I've been able to buy a house, and get a fairly decent job as a salesman, but it's extremely unfulfilling.

So, I'm re-taking Calculus 2 (already got a B in it, 8 years ago), taking the first semester of calc-based physics now as well as some other things. I should be transferring to a 4 year college in Fall of 2010, and if I can manage the finances, get my B.S. degree in 2012. I'll be about 30 when I start grad school, if I make it that far. By the age of 37 or so, I'll be Dr. Jack.

On one hand, I look around at the people in my classes and feel old. In my intro to Chemistry class, for example, I had this kid talking to me about wanting to fall asleep in class, as if that made him cool. On the other hand, I get a smug sense of self-satisfaction that I'm not living in mommy's basement and have more life experience.

I suspect 6 years of sales experience will come in handy when trying to get into grad schools, even if just for any interviews, and navigating any interpersonal roadblocks that may come in the way.

Anyway, we old folks need to keep pushing, and let's show these kids today how it's done! Huzzah!

Jack21222 said:
On one hand, I look around at the people in my classes and feel old. In my intro to Chemistry class, for example, I had this kid talking to me about wanting to fall asleep in class, as if that made him cool.

Jack?! You post here too?? lol it's me. I'm the guy who was falling asleep :tongue2:

Never ever give up on your dreams. Go for it but plan wisely. Where are you currently located, state wise? Try talking to some local public uni's and see what opportunities are available.

Best of luck!

renob said:
Jack?! You post here too?? lol it's me. I'm the guy who was falling asleep :tongue2:

I'm sure.

Vanadium 50 said:

The exact reason I am currently going back for a second degree in physics/mathematics at age 29.

I agree with everyone else. If you have the opportunity to go back to school don't waste it. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to go but can't because of money/personal issues.

I'm also a bit of a lurker here, but for what it's worth, I do not think you are too old. Old is a state of mind, I believe. There is quite a bit to be said for the maturity and life experience you will bring to physics study. I know it has helped me to be "older" while pursuing my physics PhD. I was 25 when I abandoned my business career path in favor of more challenging intellectual study, and yes I felt OLD sitting in Calc I and Chem I. However, I was quite focused and determined and KNEW I wanted to study physics, and that mindset served me very well. I was 29 and 6 months pregnant when I walked across the stage and got my bachelors in physics...and yes my husband got a kick out of the "tsks, tsks" he heard from the audience!

I took a few years off after getting my bachelors in physics to have kids (it's hard to quiet the old biological clock) and then I returned to school full-time to pursue a PhD in physics. Being "old" and a parent has its own challenges while in grad school, but its own rewards as well. I'm now 35 and the end is in sight (meaning, graduation) and I really don't think my age has been a negative issue.

It's true that your age may bring up other issues...as you mention, how to live within your means while going to school when you were used to bringing in 80-90k per year, as compared to younger students who may have lower living costs. The financial issue has to be figured out between you and your sugar mama, I'm sorry, wife (I have a sugar daddy, so no disrespect intended there!), but it's certainly not unfair to bring up a conversation where you brainstorm about how to make it possible to take more classes so you can finish more quickly. Keep in mind, if you decide to pursue graduate study, you may be able to get an assistantship of some kind (not a lot of money, but your classes are paid for and you get a small stipend).

In a nutshell, I think passion and ability are determining factors for success, and it sounds like you have both. Don't let the self-doubt drag you down, and don't get trapped into believing there is one "right" path that you have to follow. Go for it!

And please consider U of A in Tucson for the reasons I noted AND the high population of retirees. There are bound to be some great-paying jobs in health-care there, and that will take the heat off you as you pursue your education.

I'm 23 and still have 2 and half years on my degree, basically just starting out on the physics side, I came over from CS after a few semester. My school is mostly a commuter school but I would say the average age in my course is my age if not older. Like I said who really cares how old you are, no one is ever to old to learn. Might some 18 year who thinks he's too cool snicker at you? Maybe, once in awhile but really that is the least of your worries. I you can manage it then do it, who ever said they regretted getting an education?

turbo-1 said:
And please consider U of A in Tucson for the reasons I noted AND the high population of retirees. There are bound to be some great-paying jobs in health-care there, and that will take the heat off you as you pursue your education.

I've heard that is a good school and will definitely keep it in mind if the opportunity arises. I live in the Chicago area and my wife is applying to anesthesia schools locally (with a U of C undergrad, Rush Uni nursing degree, 2 years critical care nursing experience, and with some advanced practice nursing classes already finished I'm hoping she's a shoe-in for wherever she applies), but she's also applying to other schools around the country, and I know of at least one good one that is right outside of Phoenix. They're just an hour or two apart, correct?

physchic said:
I'm also a bit of a lurker here, but for what it's worth, I do not think you are too old. Old is a state of mind, I believe. There is quite a bit to be said for the maturity and life experience you will bring to physics study. I know it has helped me to be "older" while pursuing my physics PhD. I was 25 when I abandoned my business career path in favor of more challenging intellectual study, and yes I felt OLD sitting in Calc I and Chem I. However, I was quite focused and determined and KNEW I wanted to study physics, and that mindset served me very well. I was 29 and 6 months pregnant when I walked across the stage and got my bachelors in physics...and yes my husband got a kick out of the "tsks, tsks" he heard from the audience!

I took a few years off after getting my bachelors in physics to have kids (it's hard to quiet the old biological clock) and then I returned to school full-time to pursue a PhD in physics. Being "old" and a parent has its own challenges while in grad school, but its own rewards as well. I'm now 35 and the end is in sight (meaning, graduation) and I really don't think my age has been a negative issue.

It's true that your age may bring up other issues...as you mention, how to live within your means while going to school when you were used to bringing in 80-90k per year, as compared to younger students who may have lower living costs. The financial issue has to be figured out between you and your sugar mama, I'm sorry, wife (I have a sugar daddy, so no disrespect intended there!), but it's certainly not unfair to bring up a conversation where you brainstorm about how to make it possible to take more classes so you can finish more quickly. Keep in mind, if you decide to pursue graduate study, you may be able to get an assistantship of some kind (not a lot of money, but your classes are paid for and you get a small stipend).

In a nutshell, I think passion and ability are determining factors for success, and it sounds like you have both. Don't let the self-doubt drag you down, and don't get trapped into believing there is one "right" path that you have to follow. Go for it!

I appreciate the post. I've only got one boy, but my wife has mentioned wanting a girl :smile:. That would slow things down again, but there's always ways to make it work, I suppose.

I guess my worries sound a little unfounded and silly when I sit and read them. It seems like the older students is a lot more common than I thought. 30 is right around the corner, though, and I think when I turned 29 it just hit me like a ton of bricks that I had made zero progress on my education yet.

Congrats on nearing graduation! Someday, hopefully, I can tell someone the same...

lubuntu said:
I'm 23 and still have 2 and half years on my degree, basically just starting out on the physics side, I came over from CS after a few semester. My school is mostly a commuter school but I would say the average age in my course is my age if not older. Like I said who really cares how old you are, no one is ever to old to learn. Might some 18 year who thinks he's too cool snicker at you? Maybe, once in awhile but really that is the least of your worries. I you can manage it then do it, who ever said they regretted getting an education?

Yeah, I'm not sure why I was getting so worked up about it. This post helped me sit back and laugh at myself and lighten up a bit. Thanks

JasonJo said:
Never ever give up on your dreams. Go for it but plan wisely. Where are you currently located, state wise? Try talking to some local public uni's and see what opportunities are available.

Best of luck!

I'm in the Chicago area, so I've got the benefit of having many schools in the area. UIC offers a physics bachelors, U of I downstate has physics and astronomy, U of C has astrophysics (pipe dream that I'd get accepted there though) and I know there's many other opportunities in the area too. I admit that I haven't done my homework on all the 4 year uni's in my area though, and I haven't talked to any of them yet. I was going to take every science, math, and general class that I can at my local community college while I still have to take classes part-time at night, but I do definitely need to start talking to the 4 year schools though.

Latecomer said:
I appreciate the post. I've only got one boy, but my wife has mentioned wanting a girl :smile:. That would slow things down again, but there's always ways to make it work, I suppose.

I guess my worries sound a little unfounded and silly when I sit and read them. It seems like the older students is a lot more common than I thought. 30 is right around the corner, though, and I think when I turned 29 it just hit me like a ton of bricks that I had made zero progress on my education yet.

Congrats on nearing graduation! Someday, hopefully, I can tell someone the same...

It's true that there are always ways to make it work, and it revolves around having a REALLY supportive spouse. :smile: I think your worries aren't unfounded so much as focused on the wrong issue...it's true that you'll have more logistics to work out than the average undergrad/grad student, but it can certainly be done. Part of the reason I wanted to post is because I needed someone to tell me it was okay to be "old" back when I started! I spent way too much time worrying about it. What I should have been worried about was what my true passion is...it sounds like you have that figured out. Your self confidence will improve as you continue to do well in classes.

I get that hitting 30 can be a big wake-up call...mine came at 25 when I felt like I was starting over. But hey, "they" say the 30s are the new 20s right? :smile:

No matter who you are, where you're from, how old you are, my advice would always be to follow your dream and to hell with anyone that doubts you.