What is the conversion for 86.6 m to standard (base) SI units?

In summary, the conversation is about converting units to standard (base) SI units. The first problem involves converting 86.6 mm to meters, which is done by dividing by 1000 or multiplying by 10^-3. The confusion arises when trying to convert 86.6 m to meters, as it is already in SI units and does not need to be converted. The conversation also discusses the importance of understanding base units in SI, such as kilograms for mass, meters for length, and seconds for time. The conversation concludes with a question about converting 600 ps (picoseconds) to seconds.
kLPantera

Homework Statement

Convert the following as full (decimal) numbers with standard (base) SI units:

86.6 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could just change it to 8.66x10^1 then just add the 10^-3 because of the milli to make it 8.66x10^-2. But I'm wrong so could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean 86.6 mm? I ask because 86.6 m is already expressed in meters.

What do you mean with: 86.6m?
Do you mean 86.6 meters?
If so, meters are SI units so you are done..

(milli is not a unit, it's a prefix of a unit, meaning a thousandth of that unit)

Sorry for the typo. I meant 86.6mm.

Is this homework where you enter your answers on the computer? If so, what exactly did you type in for your answer?

it's a sheet of paper. I got this one now though. 86.6/1000 = 0.0866 which is 8.66E-2.
Except now I'm getting stuck on 45 microVolts. I don't know how to convert this one. What do you convert microVolts into? Volts?

Yes, Volt is an SI unit.

kLPantera said:
it's a sheet of paper. I got this one now though. 86.6/1000 = 0.0866 which is 8.66E-2.
Which is the same as 8.66x10-2, so why did you say it was wrong initially?

Ok I got it. My trouble is that I'm not sure what to convert it into. Like if it's mg I have to convert it go grams right? Or if it's pectoseconds I convert it to a minute? If fentometers then just to meters?

vela said:
Which is the same as 8.66x10-2, so why did you say it was wrong initially?

I said it was wrong initially because the way I derived it was wrong.

kLPantera said:
Ok I got it. My trouble is that I'm not sure what to convert it into. Like if it's mg I have to convert it go grams right? Or if it's pectoseconds I convert it to a minute? If fentometers then just to meters?
No, you need to know what the base units are in SI. For mass, it's the kilogram; for length, it's the meter; and for time, it's the second. There's only one unit for each type of quantity, so all times are in terms of the second, not minutes or hours.
kLPantera said:
I said it was wrong initially because the way I derived it was wrong.
I wouldn't say what you did was wrong, at least based on how I interpret what you did. Multiplying by 10-3 is the same as dividing by 1000. It's perfectly fine to think of it this way:

86.6 mm = 8.66x101 (10-3 m) = 8.66x10-2 m

In fact, it's often how I'll convert units rather than using the relatively long-winded way they teach in school.

Since the SI for time is seconds then, if it's 600 ps (pectoseconds right?) what else is there to convert to?

ps stands for picoseconds. I assume you're supposed to express it in terms of seconds. Just like you converted millimeters to meters in the first problem, you want to convert picoseconds into plain old seconds.

I'm just getting really frustrated because I keep confusing myself for some reason.

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

What is "Standard Base (SI) Trouble"?

"Standard Base (SI) Trouble" refers to issues or problems that arise when using the International System of Units (SI) for scientific measurements. This can include challenges with standardizing measurements, converting between units, or understanding the proper use of prefixes.

What are the benefits of using the SI system?

The SI system provides a standardized and internationally recognized system of measurement, making it easier for scientists to communicate and compare their findings. It also allows for easy conversion between units and simplifies calculations.

What are the seven base units of the SI system?

The seven base units of the SI system are meter (length), kilogram (mass), second (time), ampere (electric current), kelvin (temperature), mole (amount of substance), and candela (luminous intensity).

What is the difference between SI and the metric system?

The metric system is an older system of measurement that is based on the decimal system, while SI is a more modern and comprehensive system that includes standard prefixes and is used by scientists worldwide. The metric system also has different base units compared to SI, with the meter being the only unit that is the same in both systems.

How are prefixes used in the SI system?

Prefixes are used in the SI system to denote multiples or fractions of the base units. For example, the prefix "kilo" represents a thousand times the base unit, while the prefix "milli" represents one thousandth of the base unit. This allows for a wide range of measurements to be expressed without the need for excessively large or small numbers.