1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplying epsilon naught by a length quantity

1. Jun 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Note that this formula (##C=4 \pi \epsilon_0 R##) and the others we have derived for capacitance involve the constant multiplied by a quantity that has the dimensions of a length.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\epsilon_0## has the following units in SI:
    $$\frac {C^2} {N \cdot m^2}$$ or $$\frac F m$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know why the textbook states this? Does it mean it results in having the ##F## unit after canceling out the unit of length in SI? A friend told me that we also present ##\epsilon_0## in SI with ##\frac H m##, thus multiplying by a length gives a result in ##H##. I don't see any ##\frac H m## unit for epsilon naught on Wikipedia.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A capacitance has to have F as unit.

The units can help to figure out formulas. Keeping the sphere as an example: The only relevant parameter is its radius, and ##\epsilon_0## of course. How can the capacitance depend on the radius? Well, we have F/m from ##\epsilon_0##. The only way to get F is to multiply by the sphere radius: ##\epsilon_0 R##. Up to a prefactor (here: ##4 \pi##), we know already that this must be the capacitance of a sphere. Spheres have a capacitance proportional to their radius.

Henry is not a very compatible unit here. It is ##1H = \frac{kg \,m^2}{C^2}##. Even if you consider 1/H, it still differs by m/s2 and there is no reasonable way to get rid of that difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted