Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Standard Model SU(2) singlets and doublets

1. Mar 15, 2017 #1
    I know that for SU(2), weak interaction, in the standard model the right handed leptons are singlets, (and right handed neutrinos don't exist).

For right handed quarks are they singlets or doublets in the standard model. So is it (u d)R or is it just u(R) and d(R)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The right handed quarks are singlets under SU(2). You get quark masses by the Yukawa couplings associated with terms like
    $$
    \bar Q_L \Phi u_R
    $$
    where ##\Phi## is the Higgs field - an SU(2) doublet. If ##u_R## was in a doublet, terms like this would not be gauge invariant.

4. Mar 15, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That being said, in left-right symmetric models, the standard model gauge group is extended by another SU(2) group usually denoted ##SU(2)_R##. You can then collect the right-handed fermions in doublets under this new gauge group and promote the Higgs field to a bi-doublet (i.e., a doublet under both SU(2) groups).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted