Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard PPM servo interface with matlab

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    I need some help here. I need to have a standard PPM servo interface with matlab so that I can give it a command in simulink and have a response.

I found this device, which eliminates the need to use PPM in simulink.

Basically, it takes the servo command and converts it to a serial USB port. Now, I need to know how do I open this com port in simulink and get it to work? Im not an EE, and I dont know how to do this. I have used the com port once before in matlab, but not simulink.

Any help, PLEASE!?

-this is what happens when an ME takes an EE lab course. It hits the fan. :frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to help come up with a microcontroller for my senior design project, and being an ME I had no idea where to start. But, I will tell you I came out with a very robust design using Parallax products and talking to their technical support people who are very knowledgeable. I would definitely try calling tech support and see if they can help.
  4. Mar 30, 2007 #3
    I called the guy on the phone. He says all I need to do is open a com port and send it serial information through a string with a ! and a carrage return.

Lets hope it works. I rush ordered one today. Should be here tomorrow. If I cant get this to work, im in big trouble.
  5. Apr 4, 2007 #4

6. Apr 4, 2007 #5
    No, just matlab. Is dSpace an equivalent to Simulink?
  7. Apr 5, 2007 #6

You write your control mechanism in simulink (incl. filters, modulation etc.) and compile it in dSpace -- you can add nobs and buttons in a nice gui which controls your apparutus through the dSpace interface -- through BNC (sp?) cables.

Sorry for being a bit vague on the technicalities -- I've used it a lot but am not so clued up on the jargon.
  8. Dec 11, 2007 #7

How do you try to connect Simulink to paralax motor?
    Can this using microcontoller via serial port?
  9. Dec 3, 2008 #8
    Re: Matlab

Regarding dSpace

Do you know how to use the Serial UART (RS232) in dSpace? I am trying to use a sensor which gives data for RS232 in ASCII format. I tried using Serial UART of dSpace but it gives numbers which don't make sense..
  10. Dec 16, 2008 #9
    Re: Matlab

I have a 2-D modeling problem. I used Matlab pdetool to solve a 2-D axisymmetric problem. pdetool gives T (temperature) distribution and grad(T) distribution. What I need is the surface flux (in the norm) direction. My shape is irregular (like half of an egg shell). Matlab's quiver will not provide this. Is there a function somewhere that I can use to get the norm component of grad(T) generated by pdetool? Maybe I can use a function somewhere to calculate the norm direction first. This kind of problems must have been solved in some application areas already.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?