Standard PPM servo interface with matlab

In summary, the standard PPM servo interface with Matlab allows for easy and efficient control of servo motors through a simple and standardized protocol. This interface is commonly used in robotic and automated systems, providing a reliable and versatile means of communication between the servo motor and the Matlab software. By utilizing PPM signals, this interface is able to control multiple servos simultaneously, making it a popular choice for various applications in the fields of engineering, robotics, and automation.
Cyrus
I need some help here. I need to have a standard PPM servo interface with MATLAB so that I can give it a command in simulink and have a response.

I found this device, which eliminates the need to use PPM in simulink.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28823

Basically, it takes the servo command and converts it to a serial USB port. Now, I need to know how do I open this com port in simulink and get it to work? I am not an EE, and I don't know how to do this. I have used the com port once before in matlab, but not simulink.

Any help, PLEASE!?

-this is what happens when an ME takes an EE lab course. It hits the fan. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I had to help come up with a microcontroller for my senior design project, and being an ME I had no idea where to start. But, I will tell you I came out with a very robust design using Parallax products and talking to their technical support people who are very knowledgeable. I would definitely try calling tech support and see if they can help.

I called the guy on the phone. He says all I need to do is open a com port and send it serial information through a string with a ! and a carrage return.

Lets hope it works. I rush ordered one today. Should be here tomorrow. If I can't get this to work, I am in big trouble.

No, just matlab. Is dSpace an equivalent to Simulink?

cyrusabdollahi said:
No, just matlab. Is dSpace an equivalent to Simulink?
You write your control mechanism in simulink (incl. filters, modulation etc.) and compile it in dSpace -- you can add nobs and buttons in a nice gui which controls your apparutus through the dSpace interface -- through BNC (sp?) cables.

Sorry for being a bit vague on the technicalities -- I've used it a lot but am not so clued up on the jargon.

@cyrusabdollahi

How do you try to connect Simulink to paralax motor?
Can this using microcontoller via serial port?

J77 said:
You write your control mechanism in simulink (incl. filters, modulation etc.) and compile it in dSpace -- you can add nobs and buttons in a nice gui which controls your apparutus through the dSpace interface -- through BNC (sp?) cables.

Sorry for being a bit vague on the technicalities -- I've used it a lot but am not so clued up on the jargon.

Regarding dSpace

Do you know how to use the Serial UART (RS232) in dSpace? I am trying to use a sensor which gives data for RS232 in ASCII format. I tried using Serial UART of dSpace but it gives numbers which don't make sense..

I have a 2-D modeling problem. I used Matlab pdetool to solve a 2-D axisymmetric problem. pdetool gives T (temperature) distribution and grad(T) distribution. What I need is the surface flux (in the norm) direction. My shape is irregular (like half of an egg shell). Matlab's quiver will not provide this. Is there a function somewhere that I can use to get the norm component of grad(T) generated by pdetool? Maybe I can use a function somewhere to calculate the norm direction first. This kind of problems must have been solved in some application areas already.

Thanks!

What is a Standard PPM servo interface?

A Standard PPM servo interface is a communication protocol used to control servo motors in robotics and automation. It stands for Pulse Position Modulation and allows for precise control of the position and speed of a servo motor.

How does the Standard PPM servo interface work?

The Standard PPM servo interface works by sending a series of pulses to the servo motor. The length of each pulse determines the position or speed of the motor. The pulses are typically sent at a frequency of 50 Hz.

Can I use Matlab to control a servo motor using the Standard PPM interface?

Yes, Matlab has built-in functions and toolboxes that allow for control of servo motors using the Standard PPM interface. These include the arduino and servo functions.

How can I interface a servo motor with Matlab using the Standard PPM protocol?

To interface a servo motor with Matlab using the Standard PPM protocol, you will need an Arduino board and a servo motor. Connect the servo to the Arduino and use the arduino function in Matlab to establish a connection. Then, use the servo function to control the servo motor.

Are there any limitations to using the Standard PPM servo interface with Matlab?

One limitation of using the Standard PPM servo interface with Matlab is that it can only control one servo motor at a time. If you need to control multiple motors, you will need to use multiple Arduino boards or use a different communication protocol.