Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star formation activity and SMBH activity

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Hello everybody,

I'm new here and i have a question about the activity of our galaxy's Supermassive Black Hole. Did it influence the star-formation activity or was it vice versa? I would be grateful if someone could tell me anything about this or give me some information directions. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    The SMBH can make the gas clouds stay in it's orbit. So the matter could attract each other much more easily, as they are closer than if they were just travelling in a straight line through space.

On the other hand, the SMBH "eats" stars all the time, so the answer would be... both? Your question is too vague

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Studies suggest black holes are the 'seeds' for galaxy formation. Just how they got there before the galaxy forms is not entirely clear. Some think they are primeval, or a coalesced collection of primeval black holes whereas others think they evolve in parallel with galaxies. That notion is in tension with the immense size of some supermassive black holes, because it appears they bulk with unrealistic swiftness. Possibly, it is some combination of both ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook