Star Trek: 40 Years of Inspiring Young Minds

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of the Star Trek series on popular culture and science. It is noted that many scientists and engineers credit Star Trek for sparking their interest in science, and that the show has inspired real technology and advancements. The discussion also touches on the naming of the space shuttle Enterprise, with some debate over whether it was directly influenced by Star Trek or if the name was chosen for other reasons. The conversation ends with a mention of Star Trek memorabilia being sold at an auction.
Ivan Seeking said:
Check this out. From about about the 12 to 26 minute mark, they play all sorts of out-takes - "saved from the cutting room floor" - from the original series.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1645890546093125435&q=Night+Gallery&hl=en

Ah, the famous (or is that infamous?) "Blooper Reel" (actually there were three, one for each season. ) They used to show these at conventions. I've got them on video tape. I particularly like the shot of the crewman shovleing coal into the Warp engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Janus said:
I particularly like the shot of the crewman shovleing coal into the Warp engines.

Yes, that was good!

I figured that you hard-cores already knew about this. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, that was good!

I figured that you hard-cores already knew about this. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

One point that I want to make is that the claim made by the video that these were shots "saved from the cutting room floor" isn't accurate. Most of these went straight from shooting to the gag or "Goodie" reel. A lot of them were shot on purpose and were stuck into the "daily's" as a joke. (The daily's were when the production crew viewed the film shot the previous day.) At the end of each season the goodie reel was edited, some extra footage added with some voice-overs and sound effects, and then shown at the season wrap party.

That is not to say that "lost" footage has not shown up. The original pilot, The Cage was cut up and parts of it used to make the twp part episode The Managerie. The parts not used were discarded, and for years, those scenes were thought lost. Then in the 80's, while clearing out some storage at Paramount they came across a complete B/W copy of the pilot. They spliced together the color footage they still had with the "missing" footage and issued The Cage on videotape. For the first time, the fans were able to see the original pilot. Later, they went back and colorized the B/W footage.

ZapperZ had his disney thread, now Janus is going to have a star trek thread.

(Thanks Ivan!:rolleyes:) :rofl:

Bet you $5 bucks this thread goes to page 100.

zapperz : Disney :: Janus : Star Trek

Last edited: