Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Trek' actor Anton Yelchin dead in accident

1. Jun 20, 2016 #1

nsaspook

Science Advisor

RIP

http://jalopnik.com/anton-yelchins-jeep-was-included-in-rollaway-recall-lin-1782277820
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM497024/INOA-EA16002-6630.PDF

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sad, but according to the recall, the problem is with the drivers not paying attention, not placing the car in park, and then also disregarding the warning sound when they open the driver's door, it's not a problem with the car malfunctioning. Personally, I would hate a shifter like that.

So young, what a tragedy.

4. Jun 20, 2016 #3

nsaspook

Science Advisor

I think most people did causing them to go back to a traditional position shifter in 2016. Yes, a tragedy and a unintended consequence of change.

5. Jun 21, 2016 #4

Borg

Gold Member

Very sad and preventible but I'm sure that most everyone has been guilty of getting out of a running car without applying the parking brake. When I saw the slope of the driveway though, I couldn't imagine getting out of the car there without firmly applying the brake first - or turning off the engine and applying the brake.

Ironically, it reminds me of the scene from the first reboot where Sulu forgets to disengage the "parking brake". Better to be embarrassed that to have your vehicle move on its own.

6. Jun 21, 2016 #5
    fceyS32.jpg

7. Jun 21, 2016 #6

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can imagine that it takes some getting used to. It's like when I had to learn how to drive a scissor lift. It used a joy stick. Push forward to go forward, pull back to go rearwards, push left or right to turn the wheels. However, returning the stick to center did not straighten out the wheels. Push left and the wheels turned left, return to center and the wheels stayed turned left. To straighten the wheels back out, you would have to push right on the stick until the wheels faced straight and then return the stick to center again. Steering it was a series of nudging the stick left and right. (It didn't help that you couldn't even see the wheels unless you leaned over the rail and looked straight down, but if you did that all the time you weren't looking at where you were driving.) You got used to it after a while, but it did take practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted