Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Trek-style crews: Logistical nightmare or not?

1. Aug 23, 2016 #1
    We see many species of human/near-human on the Federation ships. It seems to me that there would be a logistics issue here. Things that are fine for humans might be poisonous for other species, and vice versa. Any idea how they would handle this? (Remember, Federation researchers will be reading this thread in a few hundred years.)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2016 #2

BillTre

Science Advisor

Replicators would make the needed stuff.
    Need more files for more diverse demands..

4. Aug 23, 2016 #3
    They'd have to keep an eye on cross-contamination, because it would possible that something tasty for one species would be deadly for another.

Then there's environmental issues. One species might need four showers a day while another needed them only as a medical treatment.

5. Aug 23, 2016 #4
    Okay, Sector General is floating around inside my head somewhere.

6. Aug 23, 2016 #5

BillTre

Science Advisor

I suppose they could breath different atmospheres which would require masks and independent supplies or different gas isolated areas to house them.
    Or maybe little mini-replicators over their noses making their atmospheric gasses as they needed it.

7. Aug 23, 2016 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Some Federation crew do indeed have breathing apparti.

Remember Wesley (The Boy...??) and his friend taking the Starfleet exam? His friend had a respirator.

8. Aug 23, 2016 #7

BillTre

Science Advisor

Impressive memory!

9. Aug 23, 2016 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In the original series, ships were largely single species.

Galaxy Quest pointed this out in it's, as usual, wonderful way: "Are you enjoying your blood ticks, Dr. Lazarus?"

10. Aug 24, 2016 #9
    All I remember about the baby Crusher is the Usenet group in his honor, "Alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die.die.die.die.die.die.die.die.die"

11. Aug 25, 2016 #10
    There's a canonical reason so many Star Trek species are more or less compatible: The Chase

12. Aug 25, 2016 #11
    I read a story onceuponatime that talked about humans going around the galaxy's edge, looking for alien species. Finally, on the far side of the galaxy from Earth they run into another spaceship. The usual formalities ensue, then they swap blood samples. On inspection it turns out that the "other guys" were humans as well. To give an upbeat ending the author then wrote "As one they all turned and looked outward, toward Andromeda."

13. Aug 25, 2016 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You mean me? no.

Wesley's friend Mordock was a primary character in the ep.

And his respirator was prominent. It sat in front of his face - and it emitted fog.

Mordock.jpg

14. Aug 26, 2016 #13
    Looks like a catfish.

15. Sep 1, 2016 #14
    I propose that it would not be difficult to create a respirator with nothing more than force fields. All of the aliens could easily being wearing invisible respirators controlled by the computer.

Then again, it's a universe of human/vulcan hybrids. Genetically speaking, it'd probably be easier to breed with a dog.

16. Sep 1, 2016 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

While true in principle, what would Mordock do when he left the Academy and went out for lunch?

I think, if I were used to wearing my glasses, I wouldn't be inclined to put them away once on-site, and let the bulding correct my vision for me. Some things are personal.

As the Great Sagan once said: we'd have a better chance of mating with a petunia.

17. Sep 1, 2016 #16

BillTre

Science Advisor

Although breeding might not work in the normal way, transferring genes works fine already!
    Maybe Mordock has some catfish genes and has tastebuds all over his head and barbels.

18. Sep 2, 2016 #17
    Our life forms have been tested and are totally compatible. Do you like my Arsenic based perfume?

19. Sep 3, 2016 #18
    "Oh, I adore Paris green!"

20. Sep 7, 2016 #19
    In the 29th century, humans will invent a mobile transmitter to allow The Doctor to go leave the sick bay. I see no reason that other species haven't already done so. Clearly.

21. Sep 7, 2016 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How does that help poor Mordock?

If his species had micro-transporter-technology breathing-apparati - and it worked out in the open air - that's what he'd be using. They don't. Neither does Starfleet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted