Starting a high school physics club as a sophomore

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Jeff Z
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am getting ready to start my sophomore year in High School. I am very interested in Physics but cannot take the class until next year. I have had Honors Bio as a freshman and am taking Honors Chem this year. I have also had Johns Hopkins CTY courses in Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics over the last two summers.

The clubs at my school are started by students. I would like any advice you may have about starting a High School Physics Club.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
- hold an inaugural meeting and formalize some positions (president, treasurer etc.) so that time you put into the club can help you with future applications
- contact local univerisities and see if any graduate students would be interested in coming to give talks on the research they do (sometimes a pizza lunch bribe helps in this regard)
- select a teacher mentor, preferably one who has an interest in physics and is perhaps a member of a high school physics teachers society
- some universities have high school outreach programs that you may want to look into
- some universities have projects that recruit high schools to assist with research (I know for a while, my alma matter had a cosmic ray detection array set up on various school roofs in the city)
 
In addition to those listed above, you and other members can do tutoring, which also looks nice on college apps.
 
Thanks this is just what I was looking for. I did not think of the university options. The University of New Hampshire is about 15 minutes from my school, do you know anything about their physics program.

I would still like any other advice.