Starting a Nuclear Program, trying to get the news out.

In summary, the Purdue Northwest nuclear physics program has just started and the first student is trying to get the word out. The program has many benefits, such as the chance to enter the masters program at Purdue University West Lafayette if you pass with good grades. The student is looking for ways to spread the word other than just through conventional methods like press releases. They are considering social media, message boards, and even publishing their findings in a journal.
mike232
I'm a student at Purdue University Northwest and we recently started a Nuclear Physics program and I want to help get the news out but I don't know how. Currently I am the only student in the program, but we are trying to grow it. My professor for all things Nuclear is talking to the ANS already to help, but I also want to help seeing as I'm the first one to take it. There is a huge perk with going through our program, its that if you get your nuclear physics degree here at our satellite campus and pass with good grades you walk right into the masters program for nuclear engineering / physics at Purdue University West Lafayette. This seems like a big deal because I pay very little for tuition by comparison. My professor is often telling stories about his experiences learning nuclear under a couple of the guys from the Manhattan project and huge names from nuclear when it was first getting going and I am learning so much that isn't just out of a book. I don't know if this kind of thing is common in this field but it seems like a rare opportunity to learn from... Socrates' Plato, for a lack of a better way of putting it, and I would love some Ideas to help me get this new Nuclear Program out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
mike232 said:
I'm a student at Purdue University Northwest and we recently started a Nuclear Physics program and I want to help get the news out but I don't know how.

Has the university sent "press releases" about it to various newsletters? - the little magazines published by electric power companies, defense contractors, the Navy etc. What official at the university is responsible for sending out press releases?

So my professor is working with the staff involved for this. I am wanting to try and help spread this in "non-conventional" ways. I will be putting it on Facebook because that is simple, but I would like to try and get this out on all sorts of message boards and what not but I'm trying to find a respectful way of doing this that doesn't just seem like a business putting out adds because that's how capitalism works. I want to spread that this program is working great for me and could be a good opportunity. The issue I'm having I guess is that I want to treat this like a Journal Publication not a super bowl ad. I truly think this is a good program we are starting, not just a push for money like most ads seem.

What are the benefits of starting a nuclear program?

Starting a nuclear program can bring a variety of benefits such as decreasing reliance on fossil fuels, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and providing a reliable source of energy.

What are the potential risks and challenges of starting a nuclear program?

Some potential risks and challenges of starting a nuclear program include high costs, potential safety hazards, and the issue of nuclear waste disposal.

What steps are involved in starting a nuclear program?

The steps involved in starting a nuclear program include conducting a feasibility study, obtaining necessary permits and licenses, building a nuclear power plant, and establishing protocols for safety and waste management.

How can the public be educated and informed about the progress and developments of a nuclear program?

The public can be educated and informed through various means such as holding town hall meetings, providing updates through social media and news outlets, and creating informational materials for distribution.

What are the regulations and international agreements that must be considered when starting a nuclear program?

Some regulations and international agreements that must be considered when starting a nuclear program include obtaining approval from regulatory bodies, adhering to nuclear non-proliferation treaties, and following safety guidelines set by international organizations.