1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Starting My Physics BA (BS?), Need Some Advice

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Greetings everyone. I'm on my way to getting a BA (or BS, I'm not sure what the difference is), and I'm in need of some advice. My whole life, I've always loved science and math. Now that I'm older, I now have to look into a future in this field.

I'm fascinated by space travel and aerospace in general, although as I've been reading, it seems like employment opportunities aren't very great in this field.

The reason I'm taking a physics undergrad, is because I want some flexibility for picking my MA (and perhaps PhD later on).

I've seen that there are some new companies in the field of "space tourism", this seems to be what I'm after, but it seems that these jobs would be hard to get, and also unstable.

The space tourism aerospace engineer is appealing to me, I really need a balance of desk/field work, sitting at a desk everyday would make me insane.

So, any advice?

I see that this is similar to the other post about aerospace engineering, although I didn't want to hijack his thread.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

fss

Re: Staring My Physics BA (BS?), Need Some Advice

What kind of "flexibility" do you think a physics degree really gets you? If you want to be an aerospace engineer you should probably do that.

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    In terms of a branch of science. Aerospace, nuclear, astronomy, etc. I really love natural science, so I aassume that a physics degree would be a great base.

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4
    If you want to do aerospace engineering, just get a degree in that. It will make your life easier. A BS in Physics is not completely inappropriate for this field, but you will not study specific things that will make it easier to get a job in the field. If you get a BS in Physics, then feel like getting a Masters or PhD in aerospace, the first thing you will need to do is make up the deficiencies from the BSE in Aerospace before you can even start the graduate program.

As for employment opportunities, they are fine, but hotly contested. This field is really, really cool, so employers can pick the best candidates from a large pool of applicants. If you really want to do this, find out which school has a good relationship with companies in the field so you can get an internship and maybe network a bit with alumni.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook