1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

State space and its subspace : finding a basis

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    Hello.

I really need help with this one:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a 3 dimensional state space H and its subspace H1 which is spanned with

|Psi> = a x1 + b x2 + c x3
    and
    |Psi'> = d x1 + e x2 + f x3

Those two "rays" are linearly independent and x1, x2, and x3 is an (orthonormal) basis for H.

Now I need to find coefficients g, h and i so that
    |psi_othogonal> = g x1 + h x2 + i x3
    is not a trivial element of the subspace H1_orthogonal.

2. Relevant equations

not sure

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that I need to find another element in H which is orthogonal both to |Psi> and |Psi'>

In R3 I would normally use cross product to find the third base vector but how does this transforms to the complex valued coefficients?

I think it may be:

g = (bf~ - ce~)
    h = (cd~ - af~)
    i = (ae~ - bd~)

where f~ means complex conjugate of f.

but is this right?

Also how would I go about prooving this? What pops in my mind is to build scalar products and see if they give 0...

Thanks alot

/Nathan

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try calculating the scalar products and see what you get. If they're 0, you have your answer.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the replay.

I tried to calculate the scalar product but it doesn't work; it all boils down to where I put conjugate. if I put conjugate on

g = (~bf - ~ce)
    h = (~cd - ~af)
    i = (~ae - ~bd)

then the scalar product of this vector and |psi> is zero BUT
    it is not zero with |psi'>...

Or am I missing something?

~z w is generally not equal to z ~w ?

any help is appreciated...

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try going the other way. Set the inner products to 0 and to get two equations involving g, h, and i, which you can solve up to a multiplicative constant.

6. Sep 14, 2011 #5
    I did that before and I got expressions for g and h with i as a parameter. (1 equations and 3 unknowns - no surprise there) But I have no idea what i might be. If I were dealing with real numbers I would just set i = 1 and normalize the (g h i) vector, but these are complex numbers and I don't think I can do the same thing.

anyway I got:

g = i (b~ f~ - c~ e~) / (a~ e~ - b~ d~)
    and
    h = (-d~ g - f~ i) / e~

what am I missing? either my complex algebra is too rusty or there is some fundamental physical relations I didn't think of.

Please help me; this has been bugging me for a week now.

7. Sep 14, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why not? You don't actually have to set i to 1. You could just normalize the vector, which will allow you to solve for |i|. You still have the freedom to set an arbitrary complex phase, which you can take to be 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook