State the intervals of increase and decrease

In summary, "state the intervals of increase and decrease" refers to identifying the specific values or points on a graph or function where the output or y-value is increasing or decreasing. These intervals can be determined by looking at the slope of the graph or function, or by finding the critical points. It is important to state these intervals because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and has practical applications. There can be multiple intervals of increase or decrease, which can be represented on a graph using arrows or shading.
angela107
Homework Statement
What are the intervals of increase and decrease of ##y=3x^5-5x^3##?
Relevant Equations
n/a
Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 2.51.26 PM.png

Is my answer correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of your picture ? It is utterly useless and confusing to me !

I agree with your answer, but what about x=0 ?

BvU said:
What is the meaning of your picture ? It is utterly useless and confusing to me !

I agree with your answer, but what about x=0 ?
sorry, that graph wasn't supposed to be there!
x=0 is an inflection point

Likes BvU

What does "state the intervals of increase and decrease" mean?

"State the intervals of increase and decrease" is a request to identify the specific ranges or periods of time in which a particular variable is either increasing or decreasing. This is often used in mathematical or scientific contexts to describe the behavior of a function or data set.

How do I determine the intervals of increase and decrease?

To determine the intervals of increase and decrease, you will need to analyze the graph or data set and look for changes in the trend or direction of the variable. Specifically, you will need to identify the points where the function or data set changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. These points will mark the boundaries of the intervals of increase and decrease.

Why is it important to state the intervals of increase and decrease?

Stating the intervals of increase and decrease allows for a more thorough understanding of the behavior of a function or data set. It can provide insights into the rate of change and help identify key patterns or trends. Additionally, knowing the intervals of increase and decrease can be useful for making predictions or analyzing the effectiveness of a particular process or system.

Can there be multiple intervals of increase and decrease?

Yes, there can be multiple intervals of increase and decrease within a single function or data set. This is because the variable may exhibit different rates of change at different points in time or space. It is important to identify and state all of the intervals of increase and decrease in order to fully understand the behavior of the variable.

How can I use the intervals of increase and decrease in my research or experimentation?

The intervals of increase and decrease can be used in a variety of ways in research or experimentation. They can help identify patterns or trends, compare different data sets, and make predictions about future behavior. Additionally, by understanding the intervals of increase and decrease, you can make more informed decisions and draw more accurate conclusions from your data.