Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

State vectors and Eigenvalues?

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1
    If I define a state ket in the traditional way, Say:

$$|\Psi \rangle =\sum _{ i }^{ }{ a_{ i }|\varphi _{ i }\rangle \quad } $$

Where $$a_i$$ is the probability amplitude.

How does:

$$\hat {H } |\Psi \rangle =E|\Psi \rangle $$ if the states of $$\Psi$$ could possibly represent states that have different energy levels, and one would not be able to factor the energy eigenvalue out of the summation. I know I am missing something big here. Could someone point it out?

Edit: Does $$ \hat {H} $$ collapse psi to one state phi, and so render only energy eigenvalue of the one phi that remains?

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2014 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

When you write ##\hat {H } |\Psi \rangle =E|\Psi \rangle ##, ##|\Psi \rangle## cannot represent a state with more than one energy. Each possible ##|\Psi \rangle## that is a solution to that equation is an energy eigenstate with a definite energy.

That equation has many solutions, each corresponding to a different energy. An arbitrary state will be a superposition of energy eigenstates with different energies.

The equation ##\hat {H } |\Psi \rangle =E|\Psi \rangle ## is the time-independent Schroedinger equation or the the energy eigenstate equation. It is only an intermediate step in the solution of the full time-dependent Schroedinger equation.

4. Jun 4, 2014 #3
    Ok, so $$ \Psi $$ can't be a superposition anymore.

Does this work for a generalized statement?

$$ \hat { B } \hat { A } |\Psi \rangle =ab|\Psi \rangle $$ Where if, psi is not collapsed, it is at least degenerate, and where A & B commute.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

5. Jun 4, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Statements such as these are eigenvalue problems. In these cases, by definition, ##\Psi## must be an eigenvector of the operator.

The time-dependent Schroedinger equation is NOT an eigenvalue problem:

$$H\left|\Psi\right>=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left|\Psi\right>$$

And so ACTUAL wave functions do NOT have to be eigen-vectors of any operator. We just use the eigenvalue problems to help us solve the full problem.

6. Jun 4, 2014 #5
    It's the phis that have the different energy levels!

7. Jun 4, 2014 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

Yes, in the example you give, if ##|\Psi \rangle## is an eigenstate of A and an eigenstate of B, then it is an eigenstate of AB or BA. This does not mean that ##|\Psi \rangle## is not a superposition. It is a superposition of eigenstates of other operators that do not commute with A or B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_set_of_commuting_observables
    http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~ldeldebb/docs/QM/lect2.pdf (Section 2.7)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook