Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

State Vectors as elements of Hilbert Space

1. Aug 20, 2015 #1
    The state, ##| S\rangle##, say, of a system is represented as a vector in a Hilbert space.

##\psi (x, t)## is the representation of the state vector in the position eigenbasis; ##\psi (p, t)## in the momentum eigenbasis et cetera. That is, ##\psi (x, t) = \langle x|S\rangle##; ##\psi (p, t) = \langle p|S\rangle##.

Now, suppose i expand ##\psi(x,t)## as ##\psi(x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \cos(\frac{n\pi x} {L})##.
    Similarly for ##\psi (p, t)##.
    [Assuming Dirichlet conditions hold, ##a\leq x\leq b## etc]

I can now interpret this as: ##\psi(x, t)## is an element of a Hilbert space, with the ##\cos(\frac{n\pi x} {L})##'s as basis. [The ##\cos(\frac{n\pi p} {L'})##'s as basis for ##\psi (p, t)##].

How do i reconcile these two interpretations? ##\psi (x, t)## as the coefficient in the expansion of ##| S\rangle## in the ##|x\rangle## eigenbasis as opposed to an element of a Hilbert space expanded in the ##\cos(\frac{n\pi x} {L})## basis with coefficients ##a_n##.

Should i look upon it as an expansion of an expansion (whatever that means)? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2015 #2
    It is an expansion of an expansion.
    The actual vector in the Hilbert space is $$|S\rangle = \int dx |x\rangle \langle x|S\rangle = \int dx \psi(x) |x\rangle.$$ (I leave out the time for simplicity.)
    Now if I have another basis ##|n\rangle##, I can insert the identity again in that expression.
    $$ \int dx \sum_n \langle x|n\rangle \langle n|S\rangle |x\rangle$$
    In your case, ##\langle x|n\rangle = \cos (\frac{n \pi x}{L})## and
    $$\langle n|S \rangle = \int dx \langle n|x\rangle \langle x|S \rangle = \int dx \cos (\frac{n \pi x}{L}) \psi (x) = a_n.$$

From Ballentine section 4.1
    This is like in relativity where people sometimes call a set of coefficients themselves a vector (or a tensor). But pedantically speaking, it is ##|S\rangle## that is an element of the Hilbert space.

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. That helped me get a handle on the problem.
    One question, what 'set' of functions are we talking about? ##\{\psi(x)\}## is one function, defined by the coefficients at each value of the variable x, right?

5. Aug 20, 2015 #4
    You're welcome. I think by ##\{\psi(x)\}## (as opposed to just ##\psi(x)##) Ballentine means a set of wavefunctions, each coming from a different ##|\psi\rangle##. Does that make sense?

EDIT: I looked at Ballentine again and realize he doesn't use the notation for set, but he does say that ##\psi(x)## is a function and "the vector space consists of the functions ##\psi(x)##." So I guess I put in the set notation automatically without thinking because that's how I interpret it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  6. Aug 20, 2015 #5
    Yes, i think that is what he means. But, what is that set of functions exactly? What are its elements?

##\psi (x)## is simple the set of ordered pairs {##(x_1, \psi (x_1)), (x_2, \psi (x_2)), ... ##} [x is a continuous variable, so i cant really write it like this. But, just to get the point across.]

So, the thing i'm not being able to comprehend is the nature of the set {##\psi (x)##} as there's just 1 function, ##\psi (x)##!

7. Aug 20, 2015 #6
    To make the notation clear, there should be an additional label like this: ##\{\psi_n(x)\}##.

8. Aug 20, 2015 #7
    But, what would that indicate? What is ##\{\psi_1(x)\}## for example? The coefficient of the ##|x_1\rangle## in the expansion of ##|S\rangle##? But, that is just a number!

9. Aug 20, 2015 #8
    By ##\{\psi_n(x)\}##, I mean ##\{\psi_n(x) = \langle x|\psi_n\rangle|n=1,2,\dots,N\}## or something like that, with ##|\psi_1\rangle, |\psi_2\rangle,\dots## (Edit: or ##|S_1\rangle, |S_2\rangle,\dots##) being vectors in the Hilbert space (and each ##\psi_n(x)## is a function with different values at different ##x##, as you understand).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  10. Aug 20, 2015 #9
    I think i'll have to mull it over a bit more. Will post when i have a clearer picture of this. Thanks for patiently answering my questions! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook