States of Matter - particles or atoms?

In summary, resources distinguish between the three basic states of matter based on how closely particles are held together, but there is confusion about whether this term refers to atoms, molecules, or ions. While particles can refer to all of these, it is often used as a generic term in physics.
Cyberspace
TL;DR Summary
In distinguishing between states of matter why do books refer to how closely particles are held together, rather than atoms or molecules?
Resources I have looked at distinguish between the three basic states of matter in terms of how closely particles are held together; i.e. in solids they are bound most closely, in liquids less so and in gases they're much freer. Would it not be more correct to refer to how closely atoms or molecules are held together rather than particles? Referring to particles suggests to me that particles are being exchanged between the atoms, is that the case? (If particles are not being exchanged then I would have thought the unit under consideration is the atom or molecule.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the word particles is inclusive of molecules.

Your inference about particle exchange is not warranted.

Cyberspace said:
Summary:: In distinguishing between states of matter why do books refer to how closely particles are held together, rather than atoms or molecules?

Resources I have looked at distinguish between the three basic states of matter in terms of how closely particles are held together; i.e. in solids they are bound most closely, in liquids less so and in gases they're much freer. Would it not be more correct to refer to how closely atoms or molecules are held together rather than particles? Referring to particles suggests to me that particles are being exchanged between the atoms, is that the case? (If particles are not being exchanged then I would have thought the unit under consideration is the atom or molecule.)
You would have to include ions. Atoms, molecules, and ions are all particles, but it is far easier to write “particles”’than it is to write “atoms, molecules, and ions”.

But I thought that atoms were made from particles? In the way that a house is made from bricks. Eg an electron is a particle. I thought that a particle was a lower level entity. How can it be both made from particles and be a particle?

Cyberspace said:
How can it be both made from particles and be a particle?
”Particle” is a pretty generic term. It can apply to everything from quarks to dust. There is nothing that prevents a particle from being made from other particles.

Likes ohwilleke
Ah ok. I thought the term particle was specific to sub-atomic 'stuff' when used in a physics context, so that's the root of my misapprehension.

Many thanks for clarifying.

Cyberspace said:
Ah ok. I thought the term particle was specific to sub-atomic 'stuff' when used in a physics context, so that's the root of my misapprehension.

Many thanks for clarifying.
Just read stuff on the kinetic theory of gases and you are bound to find the word "particle' used as a catch-all for atoms and molecules. The thing to do when you have doubt about the use of terms is to read around a lot and the answer will appear.

1. What are the three states of matter?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas.

2. What is the difference between a solid and a liquid?

A solid has a fixed shape and volume, while a liquid has a fixed volume but takes the shape of its container.

3. How are particles arranged in a solid, liquid, and gas?

In a solid, particles are tightly packed and arranged in a regular pattern. In a liquid, particles are close together but can move around each other. In a gas, particles are far apart and move freely.

4. Can particles in a solid, liquid, or gas change their state?

Yes, particles can change their state through processes such as melting, freezing, evaporation, and condensation.

5. Are all substances made up of particles?

Yes, all substances, including solids, liquids, and gases, are made up of particles. Even substances that may appear to be continuous, such as water, are actually made up of tiny particles.