Static frictions and moving boxes on top of a box

  • Thread starter Thread starter okgo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Static
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
okgo
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://www.screencast.com/users/trinhn812/folders/Jing/media/d77fab7d-ece6-4c9c-be65-bf41f94770fd

Homework Equations



I got the right answers doing the work shown, but I don't understand the logic of how I solved question 4.

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi okgo! :wink:

you need to use good ol' Newton's second law (F = ma) twice …

show us what you get :smile:​
 
hmm so far..
m= mass of box and M=mass of cart. I assume the acceleration of the box and cart is the same.

F(box)=force(friction)=umg=ma
ug=a

F(cart)=force done by you=Ma
Substitute ug=a into the equation.
u*g*M=Force so mass of the box doesn't matter?
 
okgo said:
F(cart)=force done by you=Ma

Is that for the cart M or for both M and m?