Statics Help (Equilibrium of Forces of Resultant?)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a device used to straighten frames of wrecked autos. The goal is to determine the tension of each segment of the chain, AB and BC, based on the force exerted by a hydraulic cylinder on point B. The problem is approached as both an equilibrium and a resultant problem, with the correct answers being 3.78 kN and 2.99 kN respectively. There is some confusion about treating the problem as an equilibrium, as it may suggest that point B is stationary when in reality it could be moving at a constant velocity.
steffyj

Homework Statement

The device shown is used to straighten the frames of wrecked autos. Determine the tension of each segment of the chain, i.e. AB and BC, if the force which the hydraulic cylinder DB exerts on point B is 3.5kN

php4nLUw9.png

Homework Equations

I am trying to figure out if the problem is an equilibrium, or a resultant problem. If it is equilibrium, the equations are:

ƩFx = 0
ƩFy = 0

If it is a resultant:

FDB = TBC - TAB

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a problem we had in class. I first worked the problem as an equilibrium and got the tensions to be:

Tab = 3.78 kN and Tbc = 2.99 kN, both of which are the right answers.

I then second guessed myself, mainly because I did not understand how a force of 3.5kN could create a tension of 3.78kN, and reworked the problem as a resultant problem. I ended up getting the problem wrong, and although I'm 99.9% that I was truly wrong, I am still confused as to why this problem is treated as an equilibrium problem. It appears to me, that for the device to work, the point B would not be in equilibrium.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am still confused as to why this problem is treated as an equilibrium problem

Are any parts accelerating?

If the forces on an object (eg point B) sum to zero that doesn't imply it's stationary. It can be moving at constant velocity but not accelerating. Remember Newton says F=ma.

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in statics?

Equilibrium in statics refers to the state in which all forces acting on a body cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero and no acceleration. This means that the body is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, all forces acting on a body are balanced and the body is at rest. In dynamic equilibrium, the body is moving at a constant velocity, but the forces acting on it are still balanced.

3. How do you calculate the resultant force in static equilibrium?

The resultant force in static equilibrium is calculated by adding all the forces acting on a body and setting the sum equal to zero. This is known as the principle of equilibrium and can be represented mathematically by the equation ΣF = 0, where ΣF represents the sum of all forces.

4. What is the importance of resolving forces in static equilibrium?

Resolving forces in static equilibrium involves breaking down a force into its horizontal and vertical components. This is important because it allows us to analyze the effect of each component on the equilibrium of the body, making it easier to determine the net force and the resulting motion of the body.

5. Can a body be in static equilibrium if it is moving?

No, a body cannot be in static equilibrium if it is moving. In order for a body to be in static equilibrium, it must be either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. If the body is moving, then there is a net force acting on it and it is not in equilibrium.