Stationary particle in a laser beam

In summary, the problem involves a stationary particle with a charge of q = 3.0 * 10^-8 C being placed in a laser beam with an intensity of 2.5 * 10^3 W/m^2. The magnitude of the electric force exerted on the charge can be found using the equation F=qE, where E can be solved for using the equation u=(1/2)εo*E^2, and then multiplied by q. The magnitude of the magnetic force exerted on the charge is zero since the charge is stationary.
Dart82

Homework Statement

A stationary particle of charge q = 3.0 10-8 C is placed in a laser beam whose intensity is 2.5 103 W/m2.

(a) Determine the magnitude of the electric force exerted on the charge.

(b) Determine the magnitude of the magnetic force exerted on the charge.

Homework Equations

Force on a charge--> F=qE
S = cu
u = (1/2)εo*E^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) i am given S and i know c so i can find u by S/c = u.
now that i have u i can solve for E using u = (1/2)εo*E^2.
I multiply E times q to get F.
sounds easy enough and makes sense to me, however i am doing something wrong here huh?

b.) i know that the magnitude will be zero since the charge is stationary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

What is a stationary particle in a laser beam?

A stationary particle in a laser beam refers to a microscopic particle that is held in place by forces in a laser beam. The particle remains stationary and does not move in the direction of the laser beam's propagation.

How does a stationary particle behave in a laser beam?

A stationary particle in a laser beam behaves differently depending on its size and composition. Smaller particles can be easily trapped and moved by the laser beam, while larger particles may experience more complex motions due to the interaction of multiple laser beams.

What are the applications of studying stationary particles in laser beams?

Studying stationary particles in laser beams has many practical applications, including material processing, optical trapping and manipulation, and biological research. It also helps in understanding fundamental physics principles and can lead to the development of new technologies.

How is the movement of a stationary particle in a laser beam controlled?

The movement of a stationary particle in a laser beam is controlled by adjusting the properties of the laser beam, such as its intensity, polarization, and wavelength. The shape and size of the laser beam also play a role in controlling the movement of the particle.

What are the challenges in studying stationary particles in laser beams?

There are several challenges in studying stationary particles in laser beams, including the precise control of the laser beam, the stability of the particle's position, and the potential damage to the particle due to the laser's intensity. Additionally, the behavior of the particle may be affected by environmental factors such as temperature and air pressure.