1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary states of free particle

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1
    The problem is to obtain the stationary states for a free particle in three dimensions by separating the variables in Schrödinger's equation.

So take

[tex]\psi(\mathbf{r},t) = \psi_1(x) \psi_2(y) \psi_3(z) \phi(t)[/tex]

and substitute it into the time-dependent Schrödinger equation. For the stationary states set U=0 and obtain

[tex] \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \psi(\mathbf{r},t) = i\hbar \frac{\partial \psi(\mathbf{r},t)}{\partial t}[/tex]

Then divide by the wavefunction, and I get

[tex]i\hbar \frac{\partial \phi(t)}{\partial t} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \frac{\partial^2 \psi_1}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \psi_2}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \psi_3}{\partial z^2} )\right [/tex]

I know that each one of the unknown functions must make a separate equation, but I don't know what to solve for without energy. For the time-independent equation they will all essentially be infinite square wells, but I don't know what to do with the time dependency.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oops. A correction. I had no noticed that you had put in the wavefunction and then divided by it.

Ok, so at first you should get

[tex]i\hbar \psi_1 \psi_2 \psi_3 \frac{\partial \phi(t)}{\partial t} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \left( \phi \psi_1 \psi_3 \frac{\partial^2 \psi_1}{\partial x^2} +\phi \psi_1 \psi_3 \frac{\partial^2 \psi_2}{\partial y^2} + \phi \psi_1 \psi_2 \frac{\partial^2 \psi_3}{\partial z^2} )\right [/tex]

Then the next step is to divide everything by [itex] \phi \psi_1 \psi_2 \psi_3 [/itex] and then you should get (instead of what you wrote):

[tex]i\hbar {1 \over
    \phi} \frac{\partial \phi(t)}{\partial t} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \left( {1 \over \psi_1} \frac{\partial^2 \psi_1}{\partial x^2} +{ 1 \over \psi_2} \frac{\partial^2 \psi_2}{\partial y^2} + {1 \over \psi_3} \frac{\partial^2 \psi_3}{\partial z^2} )\right [/tex]
    and then to use the usual argument of separation of variables to show that [itex] \phi(t) [/itex] obeys
    [tex] i \hbar {\partial \phi(t) \over \partial t} = E \phi(t) [/itex] where E is the constant of separation. So [itex] \phi(t) = A e^{-iE t / \hbar} [/itex].

Then you go on to separate the equations in x, y and z. You end up with three separate 1-dimensional Schrodinger equations ).

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?