Statistic mechanics - particles with energy 0

In summary, the problem involves a system of weakly interacting particles in equilibrium at temperature T, with three possible energy states (-epsilon, +epsilon, and 0). The fraction of particles in the 0 state is determined to be sqrt(3)/(4+sqrt(3)) by using the equation P(E_i)=e^{-E_i/kT}/(sum_j e^{-E_j/kT}) and finding the ratio P(E=-ε) / P(E=+ε).
captainjack2000

Homework Statement

System of weakly interacting particles in equilibrium temperature T, each particle can exist in three energy states -epsilon, +epsilon and 0. There are three times as many particles in the -epsilon state as in the +epsilon state. Show that fraction of particles with energy 0 is sqrt(3)/(4+sqrt(3)) ?

Homework Equations

No idea how to go about this

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

There's an equation that gives the relative probability, or number, of particles occupying different energy states. Should be in your textbook or class notes ... it contains the number e, as well as T and k.

is it along the lines of P(E_i)=e^{-E_i/kT}/(sum_j e^{-E_j/kT})

thats probably wrong but could you confirm please...

I'm stuck on the same question. I have the expression for the probabilities but I can't get the final expression they have. Any chance of another hint? I've been staring at this for a while and getting nowhere.

latentcorpse said:
P(E_i)=e^{-E_i/kT}/(sum_j e^{-E_j/kT})

Use this ↑ equation to write an expression for the ratio:

P(E=-ε) / P(E=+ε)

Redbelly98 said:
Use this ↑ equation to write an expression for the ratio:

P(E=-ε) / P(E=+ε)
Was stuck at this too! I get it now. Thanks!

Yeah, thanks for the help. I got it too.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior and properties of systems made up of a large number of particles. It helps us understand how macroscopic properties, such as temperature and pressure, arise from the microscopic interactions between particles.

2. What are particles with energy 0?

Particles with energy 0 are particles that are in their lowest possible energy state. In statistical mechanics, this is often referred to as the ground state. At this energy level, particles are in their most stable configuration and do not have any additional energy to transfer or interact with other particles.

3. How does statistical mechanics explain the behavior of particles with energy 0?

Statistical mechanics uses probability distributions and thermodynamic principles to describe the behavior of particles with energy 0. It helps us understand how these particles move and interact with each other, and how their collective behavior gives rise to macroscopic properties such as temperature and pressure.

4. Can particles with energy 0 have any motion or activity?

In most cases, particles with energy 0 are in a state of minimal or no motion. However, in quantum mechanics, even particles in their ground state can exhibit some movement due to the uncertainty principle. This means that while the average energy of the particles is 0, there may still be some fluctuations or quantum movements present.

5. How is the concept of entropy related to particles with energy 0?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In statistical mechanics, particles with energy 0 contribute to the overall entropy of a system by limiting the available energy states and reducing the degree of disorder. As the temperature of a system approaches absolute zero, the entropy also approaches zero due to the particles being in their lowest energy state.