1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Analysis - Maximum Likelihood Fit

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a set of data from the DAMA experiment in which a detector attempted to measure collisions with 'WIMP's [Weakly Interacting Massive Particles] as a candidate for dark matter. The detector records the time in days of a collision event. After binning the data and performing a Chi sqared test to a sine function I need to perform an 'Unbinned Maximum Likelihood Fit'.

As I understand the maximum likelehood fit is calculated using the probability distribution function (which i think is poissonian) for each data point.
    After this i'm at a loss. Could anyone perhaps decribe the steps involved or even point me in the direction of a good guide to this test?

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

Poissonian PDF:

[itex]p(k,\lambda) = \frac{\lambda^k e^{-\lambda}}{k!}[/itex]

k - observed # of events
    λ - expected # of events

(However, Surely the data needs to be binned for a poissonian distribution to apply at all?)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2
    Sorry, I dont think this was very clear. I have done some more reading:

My likelihood function L(λ) is poissonian:

[itex]f(k;\lambda)=\frac{e^{-\lambda}\lambda^k}{k!}[/itex]

Log Likelihood function is:

[itex]L(\lambda)=ln\left(\Pi_{i}^{n} f(k_i;\lambda)\right)[/itex]

Heres where i get a bit lost, I think my expected value λ should be a periodic function of the form:

[itex]\lambda_i(\omega,t_0;t_i)=cos(\omega[t_i-t_0])[/itex]

The remaining steps (i think) are to substitute λ into the likelihood function and then to minimize the expression:

[itex]y=-2L(\lambda)[/itex]

with respect to ω and t_0.

Does this sound right? Here's the expression i get:

[itex]L(\lambda)=-\Sigma_i^n cos(\omega[t_i - t_0]) + \Sigma_i^n k_i ln(cos(\omega[t_i - t_0]) - \Sigma_i^n ln(k_i !)[/itex]

if my data is unbinned, what is my measured value (ki)? I dont think the detector records more than one count in a day, so could i make my effective bin size 1 day? this would eliminate the final term (as 0! = 1! = 1, and ln(1) = 0) giving:

[itex]L(\lambda)=-\Sigma_i^n cos(\omega[t_i - t_0]) + \Sigma_i^n k_i ln(cos(\omega[t_i - t_0])[/itex]
    (although this would dissapear when minimizinag anyway)

after some rearranging and minimising with respect to omega i find:

[itex]\Sigma_i^n \frac{k_i}{cos(\omega[t_i-t_0])}=1[/itex]

which implies:

[itex]\Sigma_i^n cos(\omega[t_i-t_0]) = 1[/itex]

as k_i is only non zero when we observe a detection.

Does any of this look right? I've never done one of these before and examples of this type are difficult to find.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook