1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics average energy

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

average energy per particle u = (Eo + E1 e^(-B deltaE)) / (1 + e^(-B deltaE))
    B = 1/T

2. Relevant equations

Possibly relevant: e^x = 1 + x^2 / 2! + x^3 / 3! ......

3. The attempt at a solution

It tells me the average energy is about u = Eo + (deltaE)e^(-B delatE) as t approaches 0, and u = (1/2)(Eo + E1) - (1/4)B(delataE)^2 as T approaches infinity.

I can easily derive the first term in both of these equations, but the second is giving me some trouble. I tried to Taylor expand the exponential, but everything seems to cancel out and appear as before.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2

What is the question???
  4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    Sorry, I am attempting to derive the solution that was given to me, the energy as T approaches 0 and infinity from the average energy per particle
  5. Mar 20, 2008 #4

You might want to try the T-> infinity first. I got their answer. Just Taylor expand. And you will also need to use that

[tex]\frac{1}{1+x} \approx 1-x [/tex]

If you don't get it, post your steps
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?