1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Mechanics centers in Europe

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I am thinking of doing a PhD in theoretical statistical mechanics and would like to do it in Europe. I am having trouble finding institutes with a focus on SM or Physics/Mathematics departments strong in the field. Some guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks, and best regards.

Francesc.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2
    Personally, I'd love info on stat mech programs in the UK. There's a chance that we're moving there next year.

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    Hi Geezer,

As far as I can tell, there's a strong cluster at the University of Edimburgh, in the physics department doing fairly applied stuff and simulations of complex systems. I think there's quite a bit going on the more 'pure' side in Cambridge. Hope this helps. Otherwise, anybody knows about the Stat Mech scene in continental europe? Cheers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook