Statistical Mechanics, partition function for mixing

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the equations for partition functions and Helmholtz free energy before and after mixing in a note on statistical mechanics. The issue is attributed to a discrepancy in volume treatment, which leads to an incorrect conclusion that mixing is not spontaneous. After reworking the equations, it is shown that the ratio of partition functions is actually less than 1, indicating that mixing is indeed spontaneous.
jin94
Hi! The following image is taken from my note in Stat Mech. Please excuse my ugly handwriting...

I copied this from my professor's note on a whiteboard, and I'm not so sure if it is correct. The equations for Z1 (partition function before mixing) and Z2 (partition function after mixing) seems to imply that Z1 is much larger than Z2 (since N!/(NA! *NB!) is a large number). However, the Z=exp(-bF) then implies that the Helmlholtz free energy before mixing is lower that after mixing, indicating that mixing is not spontaneous. This is against what I have learned so far, since mixing increases entropy and, therefore, spontaneous. Could you please clarify this for me? I have been struggling with this all day long ... thank you so much! If it is hard to read, please let me know.

This is from my note in stat mech.
12822732_10207393493649837_670698776_o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been years since I've done this stuff, so I might be off-base with this, but it looks to me like the problem is that you don't treat volume consistently. So you have (correctly) ##N_A+N_B=N##, but you also need ##V_A+V_B=V##, because otherwise, you've got box ##N_A## with volume ##V## and box ##N_B## with volume ##V## and you're trying to cram them both into box ##N## with the same volume ##V##, so you're increasing the pressure in the final box (therefore it's not spontaneous--you have to do work on the system). Reworking it with ##V_A+V_B=V## gives you
$$\frac{Z_1}{Z_2} = \frac{V_A^{N_A} V_B^{N_B}}{V^N} \frac{N!}{N_A!N_B!}$$
This is kind of a gross expression that I don't want to think very hard about first thing in the morning, but if you just examine a simple case where ##V_A=V_B##, then you get
$$\frac{Z_1}{Z_2} = \frac{N!}{2^N N_A!N_B!}$$
which is less than 1. To see this, notice that
$$ \frac{N!}{N_A!N_B!} = \binom{N}{N_A}$$
is a binomial coefficient and recall the relation:
$$\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} = 2^n$$
Again, I don't know if this is right, but the volume thing jumped out at me.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistics to describe the behavior of a large number of particles, such as atoms or molecules, and their interactions. It allows us to understand and predict the macroscopic properties of a system based on the microscopic behavior of its constituent particles.

2. What is the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system. It sums over all the possible states of the system, taking into account the energy and degeneracy of each state.

3. How is the partition function used to describe mixing of gases?

In the context of mixing gases, the partition function represents the probability of finding a particular gas molecule in a given state. By considering the different energy levels and degeneracies of the gas molecules in the mixture, we can use the partition function to calculate the overall distribution of molecules and the resulting thermodynamic properties, such as pressure and temperature.

4. Can the partition function be used for non-ideal gases?

Yes, the partition function can be used to describe the behavior of non-ideal gases, where the interactions between molecules cannot be ignored. In these cases, the partition function must take into account the potential energy between molecules in addition to their kinetic energy.

5. How does the partition function change when the temperature of a system is increased?

As the temperature of a system increases, the partition function also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, more energy levels become accessible to the particles, leading to a larger number of possible states. As a result, the system becomes more disordered, and the entropy increases.