Statistical mechanics/Thermodynamics two spin-1/2 subsystem

• Thread starter S_Flaherty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistical
In summary, the conversation discusses two spin-1/2 subsystems with identical magnetic moments in equal fields. The first subsystem has NA spins with a certain number of spins pointing against the field and the rest pointing along the field, while the second subsystem has NB spins with a certain number of spins pointing against the field. When the subsystems are brought together, they can exchange energy and the conditions for equilibrium can be expressed in terms of entropy and total energy. At equilibrium, the number of spins pointing against the field in both subsystems are equal.
S_Flaherty

Homework Statement

Consider two spin-1/2 subsystems with identical magnetic moments (μ) in equal fields (B). The first subsystem has a total of NA spins with initially "a" having magnetic moments pointing against the field and (NA - a) pointing along the field, so that its initial energy is UiA = μB(a - (NA - a) = μB(2a - NA). The second subsystem has a total of NB spins with "b" having moments initially pointing against the field so that its initial energy is UiB = μB(2b - NB). Now suppose that the two subsystems are brought together so that they can exchange energy. Assume that B = constant and a, b, NA, NB >> 1. Show that in equilibrium, a0/NA = b0/NB, and this implies that the two subsystems will have the same "magnetization," i.e. total magnetic moment/spin.

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure what equations are useful in this case because I'm having trouble understanding what I need to be doing. I think I need to use multiplicity so
Ω(N,n) = N!/(n!(N-n)!)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I have to first figure out the most probable macrostate because that is where the systems would be in equilibrium(?). So do I go along the lines of solving Ω(NA, a) and Ω(NB, b)? I don't even know if that makes sense or what a0 and b0 represent in this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going in the right direction. Have you seen entropy yet? If so, can you express the conditions for equilibrium in terms of S and U?

My guess is that a0 and b0 are the number of spins pointing against the field at equilibrium.

S_Flaherty said:
I think that I have to first figure out the most probable macrostate because that is where the systems would be in equilibrium(?). So do I go along the lines of solving Ω(NA, a) and Ω(NB, b)? I don't even know if that makes sense or what a0 and b0 represent in this question.
exactly. But also, don't forget to constrain the total energy! And yeah, as DrClaude says, the a0 and b0 seem to simply be a and b once equilibrium is achieved.

What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of large systems of particles. It aims to understand how the microscopic properties of individual particles give rise to the macroscopic properties of a system.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies the behavior of systems in terms of their temperature, pressure, and volume, and how these properties change in response to energy transfer.

What is a spin-1/2 subsystem?

A spin-1/2 subsystem refers to a system of particles with a spin quantum number of 1/2. This can include particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, which have an intrinsic angular momentum or "spin".

How does statistical mechanics relate to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics provides a microscopic explanation for the laws of thermodynamics, which describe the behavior of macroscopic systems. It explains how the macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature and pressure, arise from the microscopic interactions of its constituent particles.

What is the significance of studying two spin-1/2 subsystems in statistical mechanics/thermodynamics?

Studying two spin-1/2 subsystems allows us to understand the behavior of more complex systems, as well as how multiple subsystems interact with each other. It also has practical applications in areas such as materials science and quantum computing.