Stats question: Item collection

• Thread starter dreamspace
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Suppose that I'm collecting cards, and that in a complete collection there are m items.
When buying a new card, there's an equal probability that the card is any of those m cards.

Let X be the number of cards I need to buy in order to get a complete collection

What is the Expectation/Ex of X? What is the Standard Deviation?

Homework Equations

Let [itex]X = \sum^{m}_{i=1} X_{i} [/itex], where [itex] X_{i} [/itex] is the number of cards I need to buy in order to get a new type of card when I already have i - 1 different types of cards

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure this problem would involve probability mass function, but to be honest I'm stuck as I haven't had any probability or stats in over 10 years.

Any good pointers on how to go on with this problem?

Answers and Replies

lanedance
Homework Helper
haven't worked it, but say you have n>m cards, then what is the probability of having m different cards might be a place to start...

After doing some reading, this looks like something that falls under Geometric Distribution. Correct?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Suppose that I'm collecting cards, and that in a complete collection there are m items.
When buying a new card, there's an equal probability that the card is any of those m cards.

Let X be the number of cards I need to buy in order to get a complete collection

What is the Expectation/Ex of X? What is the Standard Deviation?

Homework Equations

Let [itex]X = \sum^{m}_{i=1} X_{i} [/itex], where [itex] X_{i} [/itex] is the number of cards I need to buy in order to get a new type of card when I already have i - 1 different types of cards

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure this problem would involve probability mass function, but to be honest I'm stuck as I haven't had any probability or stats in over 10 years.

Any good pointers on how to go on with this problem?
Google the Coupon Collector's Problem.

RGV