1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

STD of Poisson distributed particle intensity

1. Nov 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say I have a detector that detects alpha-particles of some decay process. Let N be the amount of particles detected and let N be Poisson distributed. If I now define the intensity to be the amount of detected particles per second I = N/t, what would the standard deviation of I be? Also derive the standard deviation of ln I using propagation of error (error in t can be disregarded)..

2. Relevant equations
    Poisson distribution

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I let the amount of particles detected in a time interval t be n = μ/t, the probability of detecting x particles is given by the Poisson probability function with mean (parameter) μ = nt. The expectation value is therefore just μ and the std is sqrt(μ) = sqrt(nt). This means that the std for the intensity is sqrt(nt)/t = sqrt(n/t). That's the first part done.

As for the std of ln I, I don't really know what is meant by deriving it using propagation of error or maybe I'm just too tired. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Shouldn't this be n = µt?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_of_uncertainty#Non-linear_combinations

Instead of defining a new variable µ in part 1, you should try applying the formula above to I = N/t in order to calculate sI in terms of N and t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted