Steady State Approximation and Reaction Mechanisms

In summary, the individual needs help determining true and false statements regarding steady state approximation and getting rid of all intermediates. They are seeking guidance on how to approach the problem and have been advised to set the time derivatives of fast reactions to zero and solve for the concentrations of short-lived species in terms of long-lived species.
Gorby
Hi,

I need help determining which of the statements are true and false.

http://imgur.com/9BC1Wqf

I know this involves steady state approximation, but I find that when I try it I am never able to rid of all the intermediates.

Please help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
The way I start any problem like this is two write an equation for the time derivative d/dt of the concentration of each chemical species involved in terms of the concentrations of the various species and the reaction rate constants. Then, I set the time derivatives of the fast reactions equal to zero. This leads to algebraic expressions for the fast reactions. I then solve the algebraic equations for the concentrations of the short lived species (in this case free radicals) in terms of the long lived species concentrations. I then substitute the concentrations for the short lived species into the slow reaction time derivatives. This will always get you to where you want to be.

Chet

1. What is the Steady State Approximation?

The Steady State Approximation is a method used to simplify the rate equations in a chemical reaction mechanism. It assumes that the concentration of intermediates in the reaction are constant, which allows for the calculation of the rate of the overall reaction without having to consider the individual steps of the mechanism.

2. How is the Steady State Approximation used in reaction mechanisms?

The Steady State Approximation is used in reaction mechanisms to simplify the rate equations and make them more manageable. It allows for the determination of the overall rate of a reaction without having to consider the individual steps of the mechanism, which can be complex and difficult to determine experimentally.

3. What is the difference between the Steady State Approximation and the Equilibrium Approximation?

The Steady State Approximation and the Equilibrium Approximation are both methods used to simplify the rate equations in chemical reactions. However, the Steady State Approximation assumes that the concentrations of intermediates are constant, while the Equilibrium Approximation assumes that the reaction has reached equilibrium and the concentrations of all species are constant.

4. How does the Steady State Approximation affect the accuracy of reaction rate calculations?

The Steady State Approximation can lead to some inaccuracies in reaction rate calculations, as it simplifies the rate equations and does not take into account the individual steps of the reaction mechanism. However, it can still provide a good estimation of the overall rate of the reaction and is often used in cases where the mechanism is not well understood or difficult to determine.

5. Can the Steady State Approximation be applied to all types of chemical reactions?

No, the Steady State Approximation is only applicable to certain types of chemical reactions, such as those with fast initial steps and slow final steps. It is not suitable for reactions with multiple intermediates or reactions with significant reverse reactions. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the complexity of the reaction mechanism.