Steady State Solution of Forward Kolmogorov Equation

In summary: There's no need to solve the equation in order to verify that the proposed solution is correct; that's why it's called *verification*. Moreover, the formula is given to you: you don't have to derive it. You have the issue of why the given solution doesn't quite match your own, and for that you need to backtrack and find out where you went wrong.
jend23
Essentially, this looks like a differential equation problem but being rusty on differential equations I am a little stuck.

Homework Statement

Consider the following SDE
[tex]
d\sigma = a(\sigma,t)dt + b(\sigma,t)dW
[/tex]
The Forward Equation (FKE) is given by
[tex]
\frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial\sigma^2}(b^2p) - \frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma}(ap)
[/tex]

The steady state solution is given by setting ##\frac{\partial p}{\partial t}=0##. Considering the boundary conditions that as ##\sigma\rightarrow\infty##, ##p\rightarrow 0## and ##\frac{\partial p}{\partial \sigma}\rightarrow 0##, show that the steady state solution is given by

[tex]
p(\sigma) = \frac{A}{b^2}e^{\int^\sigma\frac{2a}{b^2}d\sigma '}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, as per the question, the steady state solution is:
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\frac{d^2}{d\sigma^2}(b^2p) - \frac{d}{d\sigma}(ap) = 0
[/tex]

Integrating to convert to a first order differential equation?:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{d\sigma}(b^2p) - ap = A
[/tex]

Given the boundary conditions in the question, ##A = 0##??

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{d\sigma}(b^2p) = ap
[/tex]

Re-arranging we have a variable separable D.E

[tex]
\frac{1}{p} dp = \frac{2a}{b^2} d\sigma
[/tex]

Integrating:

[tex]
\log p = \int \frac{2a}{b^2} d\sigma + D
[/tex]

[tex]
p = e^{\int \frac{2a}{b^2} d\sigma + D}
[/tex]

...and this is where I'm stuck. It looks a *little* like the expected solution but I don't know where the extra ##\frac{A}{b^2}## coefficient comes from and why there is a ##d\sigma '## in the expected solution.

Any help appreciated. Please bear in mind that my differential equation and integration skills are very poor so any hint as to where I've gone wrong would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anybody help? Still stuck on this one. It's really a differential equation problem...

jend23 said:
Essentially, this looks like a differential equation problem but being rusty on differential equations I am a little stuck.

Homework Statement

[tex]
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial p}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial\sigma^2}(b^2p) - \frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma}(ap)
[/tex]

The steady state solution is given by setting ##\frac{\partial p}{\partial t}=0##. Considering the boundary conditions that as ##\sigma\rightarrow\infty##, ##p\rightarrow 0## and ##\frac{\partial p}{\partial \sigma}\rightarrow 0##, show that the steady state solution is given by

[tex]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

Integrating:

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

...and this is where I'm stuck. It looks a *little* like the expected solution but I don't know where the extra ##\frac{A}{b^2}## coefficient comes from and why there is a ##d\sigma '## in the expected solution.

Any help appreciated. Please bear in mind that my differential equation and integration skills are very poor so any hint as to where I've gone wrong would be great, thanks!

You should avoid asking the same symbol to have two different meanings in the same expression, so writing ##p(\sigma)## in terms of an integral having ##d\sigma## in it is a no-no. Instead, you need to distinguish between the limit of integration, ##\sigma##, and the dummy integration variable. You could, for example, write
[tex] \int^\sigma\frac{2a(x)}{b^2(x)}\, dx, [/tex] although the posted solution chooses the dummy variable to be named ##\sigma'##. That's OK: ##\sigma'## is different from ##\sigma##.

Anyway, the problem just asks you to verify a formula, not to figure out where the formula comes from; that's what the "show that" instruction means. 'Verification' is a whole lot easier than 'discovery'.

Ray Vickson said:
You should avoid asking the same symbol to have two different meanings in the same expression, so writing ##p(\sigma)## in terms of an integral having ##d\sigma## in it is a no-no. Instead, you need to distinguish between the limit of integration, ##\sigma##, and the dummy integration variable. You could, for example, write
[tex] \int^\sigma\frac{2a(x)}{b^2(x)}\, dx, [/tex] although the posted solution chooses the dummy variable to be named ##\sigma'##. That's OK: ##\sigma'## is different from ##\sigma##.

Anyway, the problem just asks you to verify a formula, not to figure out where the formula comes from; that's what the "show that" instruction means. 'Verification' is a whole lot easier than 'discovery'.

Hi Ray, thanks for the help again.

The dummy variable point makes sense.

On the topic of "verification" vs. "discovery" are you saying that the problem isn't to solve the differential equation? (which I have now done, more or less - see below). If not, what exactly is it that I'm supposed to do here then?!

Even if it's not what the question is asking, somebody else pointed out that there was a mistake in my working:

##
\begin{align} \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{d\sigma} (b^2 \cdot p) &= a \cdot p \\ \Rightarrow b \cdot \frac{d b}{d \sigma} \cdot p + \frac{1}{2} b^2 \cdot \frac{dp}{d \sigma} &= a \cdot p \\ \Rightarrow \frac{1}{p} \, dp &= 2 \frac{ \left(a- b \cdot \frac{db}{d\sigma}\right) }{b^2} \, d\sigma = \frac{2a}{b^2} \, d\sigma - 2 \frac{1}{b} \cdot \frac{db}{d\sigma} \, d\sigma \end{align}
##

And from there, integrating and taking exponential arrives at the correct equation from the question.

jend23 said:
Hi Ray, thanks for the help again.

The dummy variable point makes sense.

On the topic of "verification" vs. "discovery" are you saying that the problem isn't to solve the differential equation? (which I have now done, more or less - see below). If not, what exactly is it that I'm supposed to do here then?!

Even if it's not what the question is asking, somebody else pointed out that there was a mistake in my working:

##
\begin{align} \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{d\sigma} (b^2 \cdot p) &= a \cdot p \\ \Rightarrow b \cdot \frac{d b}{d \sigma} \cdot p + \frac{1}{2} b^2 \cdot \frac{dp}{d \sigma} &= a \cdot p \\ \Rightarrow \frac{1}{p} \, dp &= 2 \frac{ \left(a- b \cdot \frac{db}{d\sigma}\right) }{b^2} \, d\sigma = \frac{2a}{b^2} \, d\sigma - 2 \frac{1}{b} \cdot \frac{db}{d\sigma} \, d\sigma \end{align}
##

And from there, integrating and taking exponential arrives at the correct equation from the question.

The problem is absolutely clear: it says "show that the solution is ..." How do you show that some given formula satisfies a differential equation? You plug it into the DE to see if it works!

Ray Vickson said:
The problem is absolutely clear: it says "show that the solution is ..." How do you show that some given formula satisfies a differential equation? You plug it into the DE to see if it works!

OK, I'm back on this one. What you're suggesting seems to be more of a challenge than the derivation I computed. I'm having a complete mental block.

Can somebody get me started?

##
\frac{∂}{∂\sigma}(ap) = \frac{∂}{∂\sigma} (a \frac{A}{b^2}e^{\int\frac{2a}{b^2}d\sigma})
##

But the question says that p tends to 0. So don't both terms disappear? I just don't get it. Need a pointer please.

Last edited:
jend23 said:
No. You don't know that ##\frac d{d\sigma}\left(b^2p\right) → 0##.
Given the form of the desired answer, I would substitute ##p = \frac q{b^2}##

haruspex said:
No. You don't know that ##\frac d{d\sigma}\left(b^2p\right) → 0##.
Given the form of the desired answer, I would substitute ##p = \frac q{b^2}##

Hi, apparently that whole line of attack is not what the question is asking. I'm supposed to show that the equation given, satisfies the PDE.

jend23 said:
Hi, apparently that whole line of attack is not what the question is asking. I'm supposed to show that the equation given, satisfies the PDE.
Doesn't stop you doing a simplifying substitution.

OK, but how does that help me show that the given equation for p satisfies the PDE? I'm honestly more lost now than I was at the beginning of the thread.

So,

$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma} (ap) = a.\frac{\partial p}{\partial\sigma} + \frac{\partial a}{\partial\sigma}.p
$$

Given the boundary conditions in the question ##p → 0## and ##\frac{\partial p}{\partial\sigma} → 0##, does this mean that:

$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma} (ap) = a.0 + \frac{\partial a}{\partial\sigma}.0
$$

$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial\sigma} (ap) = 0??
$$

Am I on the right track here? Do I have to do the same for the ##b^2## term?

Last edited:
Doing the same for the second order term, I get:

$$
\frac{d^2}{d\sigma^2} (b^2.p) = 2b.p.\frac{d^2b}{d\sigma^2} + 4b.\frac{db}{d\sigma}.\frac{dp}{d\sigma} + 2p.(\frac{db}{d\sigma})^2 + b^2.\frac{d^2p}{d\sigma^2}
$$

Which doesn't seem to help me show that the equation for ##p## satisfies the differential equation.

Using the boundary conditions ##p → 0## and ##\frac{dp}{d\sigma} → 0##, all of the terms dissappear but I'm left with:

$$
b^2.\frac{d^2p}{d\sigma^2}
$$

Where am I going wrong? Getting desperate now.

jend23 said:
[tex]
[/tex]

I posted earlier that you could not do that because you don't know that ##\frac{d}{d\sigma}(b^2p)→0##. I.e. although it expands to ##2bp\frac{d}{d\sigma}b+b^2\frac{d}{d\sigma}p##, you don't know that either of those terms tends to 0. However, you are going to have to assume that to solve the problem, so maybe you can justify it on some physical grounds constraining the magnitude of b.
[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]
That last step doesn't look valid. It becomes more obvious with the substitution I proposed:
## \frac{dq}{d\sigma} = \frac{2aq}{b^2} ##
## \frac{dq}q = \frac{2a}{b^2} d\sigma##

Hi haruspex,

I really appreciate the time and effort you are putting into help me but I think we're having trouble communicating.

I *don't* need to find a solution to the differential equation - this was my mistake so you can ignore my first post and attempted solution which you seem to be focusing on.

I need to show that the equation for p already given *satisfies* the differential equation. So I need to evaluate the differentials accordingly and plug it into the equation. This is the part I'm having trouble with.

Looks like I'm about to fail this coursework, thanks anyway.

jend23 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
[/tex]
[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

Integrating:

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

To answer specifically where you went wrong, it was in going from
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{d\sigma}(b^2p) = ap [/tex]
to
[tex]
[/tex]

Using ##x## instead of ##\sigma## and setting ##u = b^2 p##, ##r = a/b^2## and ##D = \frac{d}{dx}## we have
[tex] D^2 u = D(r u) \: \Longrightarrow \; D u = r u + c,[/tex]
where ##c## is a constant of integration. One of the solutions (obtained by fixing c in some way) will be exactly what you are asked to show.

However, there is a much more serious issue: the system may not have an equilibrium distribution at all; whether or not it has one depends on behavior of a(x) and b(x). For example, if a and b > 0 are constants there is no equilibrium distribution. The differential equation's written solution still exists, but cannot satisfy the boundary conditions on p(x) for large |x|. One can offer some sufficient conditions, such as requiring that
[tex] R(x) = \int_0^x r(y) \, dy [/tex]
be < 0 for large |x| and that either |R(x)| → ∞ as |x| → ∞ and b(x) remaining bounded, or that R(x) (> 0 or < 0) remain bounded and |b(x)| → ∞ as |x| → ∞, or some other conditions. It is difficult to give a set of general conditions on a(x) and b(x), but it is crucial to recognize that *some* conditions are absolutely vital.

jend23 said:
I need to show that the equation for p already given *satisfies* the differential equation. So I need to evaluate the differentials accordingly and plug it into the equation. This is the part I'm having trouble with.
The OP says
show that the steady state solution is given by
To me, that says to deduce it from the set-up in the usual way. If it had said "show that a steady state solution is given by" then you could take the easier route of plugging it into the D.E. and see that it satisfies it. The second is never harder than the first.
For steady state you had the ODE:
##\frac{d^2}{d \sigma^2}\left(b^2p\right) = 2 \frac{d}{d \sigma}\left(ap\right)##
Substituting ##p = \frac{A}{b^2}e^{\int^{\sigma}\frac{2a}{b^2}d \sigma '}##:
##\frac{d}{d \sigma}\left(b^2p\right) = \frac{d}{d \sigma}Ae^{\int^{\sigma}\frac{2a}{b^2}d \sigma '} = Ae^{\int^{\sigma}\frac{2a}{b^2}d\sigma '} \frac{d}{d \sigma}\int^{\sigma}\frac{2a}{b^2}d \sigma ' = b^2p\frac{2a}{b^2} = 2ap##
Differentiating both sides wrt sigma produces the ODE.
It would remain to show that the boundary conditions are met. There you run into a snag working this way round. I don't believe it is possible to show those boundary conditions follow from the posited solution. All you can hope to do is show that there is no other solution given those conditions. At this point you are forced back into the deductive approach.
But as Ray and I agree, there is a flaw in the problem statement. You need to know that ##bp\frac{d b}{d\sigma}## and ##b^2\frac{d p}{d\sigma}## tend to 0.

1. What is the Forward Kolmogorov Equation?

The Forward Kolmogorov Equation, also known as the Kolmogorov forward equation or simply the KFE, is a partial differential equation used in probability theory to describe the evolution of a probability distribution over time.

2. What does the Steady State Solution of the Forward Kolmogorov Equation represent?

The Steady State Solution of the Forward Kolmogorov Equation represents the long-term behavior of a system, where the probability distribution remains constant over time. In other words, it is the equilibrium state of the system.

3. How is the Steady State Solution of the Forward Kolmogorov Equation calculated?

The Steady State Solution of the Forward Kolmogorov Equation is calculated by solving the differential equation and finding the probability distribution that satisfies the equation and remains constant over time.

4. What are the applications of the Steady State Solution of the Forward Kolmogorov Equation?

The Steady State Solution of the Forward Kolmogorov Equation has various applications in fields such as finance, physics, and biology. It is used to model and analyze systems that exhibit steady-state behavior, such as stock prices, diffusion processes, and population growth.

5. What are the limitations of using the Steady State Solution of the Forward Kolmogorov Equation?

One of the main limitations of the Steady State Solution of the Forward Kolmogorov Equation is that it only applies to systems with stationary and homogeneous behavior. It also assumes that the system is in equilibrium and does not take into account any external influences or sudden changes. Additionally, the solution may not be accurate for complex systems with multiple variables and interactions.