Steam engine out of coke can help

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is working on a project for their mechanical engineering course, specifically a steam engine car. They have done some research and found a video about a simple steam engine using a soda can as a boiler. The student is looking for more information on how the engine works, particularly how the steam drives the piston and if the valve is necessary. Another person suggests a website that may help with understanding the engine design.
krelian1
Hi, my first post. So brief presentation, I'm an undergraduate mechanical engineer student.
I hope this doesn't actually fall in homework, but it's a project that I have this semester: a steam engine car (small). I've made a bit of research and I ended up discovering the following "engine":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brf0Ga0wnRc

Like in this video, I am provided with a soda can that acts as the boiler which has a nozzle attached to it and also pressure tested. As for the rest of the car and system, i am suppose to design it. But this steam engine is very inspiring. Anyone can explain me how this system is actually made? What I can't figure out is how the steam actually drives the piston inside. Also, is the valve necessary?

Thanks in advance =).

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How does a steam engine made out of a coke can work?

The steam engine made out of a coke can works by harnessing the power of steam to create motion. The heat from the flame causes water to boil inside the can, creating steam which then pushes the air out of the can. This creates a vacuum inside the can, causing it to move in the opposite direction.

2. What materials are needed to make a steam engine out of a coke can?

To make a steam engine out of a coke can, you will need a coke can, a small amount of water, a heat source (such as a candle or lighter), and a small tube or straw to direct the steam. Optional materials include a needle for creating holes in the can and a small piece of clay to help seal the can.

3. How can a steam engine made out of a coke can be used?

A steam engine made out of a coke can can be used as a small-scale demonstration of how steam power works. It can also be used as a science project or as a fun activity to do with friends. Some people have even used it to power small boats or cars!

4. What are the benefits of making a steam engine out of a coke can?

Making a steam engine out of a coke can is a great way to learn about the principles of steam power and how it can be harnessed for various purposes. It also allows for a fun and creative hands-on experience that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when making a steam engine out of a coke can?

Yes, it is important to remember that you are working with open flames and hot surfaces when making a steam engine out of a coke can. Be sure to have adult supervision if necessary and to use caution when handling the hot can. It is also important to make sure the can is completely dry before attempting to use it, as water can cause the can to explode when heated.