Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steepest descent, non-analytic roots

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a physics class, I am supposed to evaluate the following integral
    [tex]I_n(a) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \mathrm dx \, e^{-n x^2/2 + n a x} \cosh^n(x)[/tex]
    as a function of the real non-zero parameter a, in the limit as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex] using the method of steepest descent. The question adds: "Express the ersult in parametric form as a function of the saddle point position."

The problem I ran into, is that the extremum position [itex]x_0[/itex] satisfies the equation
    [tex]x_0 - a - \tanh(x_0) = 0[/tex]
    which cannot be solved analytically. So I'm getting a bit confused, whether I should just leave the result
    [tex]I_n(a) \simeq e^{- n x_0^2 + n a x_0} \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{f''(x_0)}} [/tex]
    where f''(x_0) = tanh(x_0) = x_0 - a, or whether I am missing something here.

I'd appreciate your input.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've tried some more approaches, but in all of them, the problem is in the log(cosh(x)) that's in the exponent. There is no way it can be rewritten without having [itex]\log\cosh(x_0))[/itex], with x0 the position of the minimum of the exponent, in the final expression.

I will try to see the TA tomorrow, but your suggestions are still welcome.
    (The exercise was given Thursday afternoon, due on Tuesday).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?