Stellar Culmination: Determining Sidereal Time at the Moment of Arcturus' Peak

  • Thread starter Thread starter mystery_witch
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Star
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mystery_witch
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
In my problem, it says only this: "The star Arcturus culminates. What is the sidereal time at this moment?"

Do I need to know when the star culminates to solve the problem, and if I do where would I find this information?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Culminates means reaches it's highest point (although I've never heard this term used in astronomy - was this a translation?).
I think it wants you describe the relation of Right Ascension to sidereal time rather than give a number
 
This was actually a translation, but it is translated correctly. Culminate is the word used in the original, although it doesn't really sound right in this context.

As for the problem, it does make it a lot easier if I don't have to give a number as the answer.

Thanks.