Sidereal Time: Clarifying Contradictory Definitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of sidereal time and presents two contradictory definitions: sidereal time as simply the right ascension on the local meridian and sidereal time as equal to 12 hours minus the right ascension on the local meridian. The person is confused about how these two definitions can both be true and is seeking clarification. They also question the difference between sidereal time and solar time.
Starproj
Help!

I need some clarification on definitions, because it seems like I am getting contradictory information.

My textbook defines sidereal time as simply the right ascension that is on the local meridian. It further defines sidereal time as being the RA of a star + the hour angle of the star, which makes sense, as if the hour angle was zero, the star is on the meridian, and it's RA would be the sidereal time. So once again, sidereal time equals the RA on the local meridian.

I get that and am ready to accept that definition.

But then I am presented with a specific: the vernal equinox. At noon on the vernal equinox the sun is on the meridian. From my understanding based on the definition above, the sidereal time would be 0 hours, as RA = 0 is on my meridian. But the book claims that I have to rotate Earth 180 degrees and that sidereal time is equal to 12 hours - RA on meridian.

So it seems I have two contradictory definitions of sidereal time:

1) Sidereal time = RA on local meridian
2) Sidereal time = 12 hours - RA on local meridian.

They can't both be right. What am I missing? What is the book trying to differentiate?

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Isn't sidereal time from midnight

1. What is sidereal time?

Sidereal time is a measure of time based on the rotation of the Earth relative to the stars. It is defined as the time it takes for a specific star or constellation to return to its highest point in the sky, and is used by astronomers to track the movement of celestial objects.

2. How is sidereal time different from solar time?

Sidereal time is based on the Earth's rotation relative to the stars, while solar time is based on the Earth's rotation relative to the sun. This means that sidereal time is slightly shorter than solar time, as the Earth must rotate slightly further to return to the same position relative to the stars.

3. Why are there contradictory definitions of sidereal time?

The two main definitions of sidereal time, sidereal day and sidereal hour, are based on different units of measurement. Sidereal day is based on the rotation of the Earth, while sidereal hour is based on a fraction of that rotation. This can lead to confusion and contradictory definitions.

4. How is sidereal time measured?

Sidereal time is typically measured using a sidereal clock or calculator, which converts solar time into sidereal time. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the Earth's rotation and the position of stars in the sky.

5. Why is sidereal time important in astronomy?

Sidereal time is important in astronomy because it allows astronomers to track the movement of celestial objects more accurately than using solar time. It is also used to determine the positions of stars and calculate the orbits of planets and other objects in the solar system.