What is Stellar Flux and How Does it Affect Solar Wind?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of stellar flux, which is the total power emitted from a source of radiation passing through a unit area per second. It is also known as radiant flux, radiative flux density, or irradiance, depending on the context. Stellar flux is important in calculating apparent magnitude and can be used to determine the total power or luminosity of a source. There may be some ambiguity with the term "stellar" in relation to solar wind flux.
EpicAll Rounder
I have a little problem about Stellar Flux. I've searched google and bing for info but to no avail. Please help me understand Stellar Flux.

Thanks, Epicall Rounder

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Offhand I would say it's what's known as "radiant flux", which is the total power emitted from a source.

First of all, let me just say that in my personal opinion the nomenclature related to starlight is needlessly complicated and in need of trimming.

Anyway, stellar flux is the energy of radiation emitted by the star passing every second through a unit area. It is usually measured in a given band of EM radiation.

It's the same as radiative flux density or radiation flux if taken over all wavelengths and the same as irradiance if the area is a surface area.
If summed over a spherical area encompassing the source it gives the total power (luminosity) of the source. Luminosity over all bands is called bolometric luminosity.

Stellar flux features in the calculations for apparent magnitude, since what you're comparing there is how much energy arrives per unit time from stars at the surface of the Earth (i.e., how bright they look) versus reference flux.

I hope I got that right.Now this seems kinda relevant:

Last edited:
Likes davenn and Drakkith
There are (closed) threads here at PF and much to be googled on Flux of Solar Wind. So there could some ambiguity with the term stellar in the OP question.

Stellar flux refers to the amount of energy emitted by a star per unit area per unit time. It is a measure of the star's brightness and is affected by various factors such as the star's temperature, size, and distance from Earth.

In terms of solar wind, stellar flux plays a crucial role in determining the strength and intensity of the solar wind. Solar wind is a stream of charged particles, mainly protons and electrons, that are constantly emitted from the Sun's outer atmosphere, also known as the corona.

The stellar flux from the Sun is responsible for heating up the corona to extremely high temperatures, which in turn accelerates the charged particles and propels them outward as solar wind. The higher the stellar flux, the more energy is available to accelerate the particles, resulting in a stronger and faster solar wind.

Stellar flux also affects the structure and dynamics of the Sun's magnetic field, which plays a significant role in shaping and directing the solar wind. As the charged particles in the solar wind interact with the Sun's magnetic field, they can become trapped and form structures such as coronal loops and solar flares.

Understanding stellar flux and its effects on solar wind is essential for studying and predicting the behavior of the Sun and its impact on Earth's space environment. It is an important concept in solar and space physics and is constantly being studied and measured by scientists. I hope this explanation helps you understand stellar flux better.

1. What is stellar flux?

Stellar flux refers to the amount of energy emitted by a star per unit area, typically measured in watts per square meter. This energy includes both visible light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

2. Why is stellar flux important in astronomy?

Stellar flux is an important factor in understanding the properties and behaviors of stars. It can give us insight into a star's temperature, size, and lifespan, as well as the presence of planets or other objects in its orbit.

3. How is stellar flux calculated?

Stellar flux is calculated by measuring the total energy output of a star and dividing it by the surface area of the star's photosphere. This can be done through various methods, such as spectroscopy or photometry.

4. What is the difference between stellar flux and luminosity?

Stellar flux and luminosity are related but distinct concepts. Luminosity refers to the total amount of energy emitted by a star, while stellar flux measures the amount of energy reaching a specific area. Luminosity takes into account the size of the star, while stellar flux does not.

5. How does stellar flux vary among different types of stars?

Stellar flux can vary greatly among different types of stars, depending on their size, temperature, and age. For example, smaller and cooler stars tend to have lower flux values, while larger and hotter stars have higher flux values. Additionally, as a star evolves and changes in size and temperature, its flux may also change.