Need help understanding Collapsed Configurations of stellar Mass

In summary, the speaker is a CG artist trying to accurately recreate a Type II Supernovae collapsing into a black hole using particle systems in Maya 2011. They are referencing several papers on the subject and are seeking help in understanding the equations and applying them to their project. They are also interested in learning more about mathematics and physics.
c_worley
Hello,
I would first like to note I'm not a physicist. I'm a Cg artist trying to recreate a Type II Supernovae collapsing into a black hole using the particle systems in Maya 2011, But I want it to be as accurate to the existing model currently used in astrophysics. The current papers I'm reading to try and understand this are "The Highly Collapsed Configurations of a Stellar Mass" By: S. Chandrasekhar (Both Papers), " A Rigorous Examinations of the Chandrasekhar Theory of Stellar Collapse" by: Elliott H. Lieb and Horng-Tzer Yau, and "The Neutron Star and Initial Mass Function" By: F.X. Timmes, S.E. Woosley and Thomas A. Weaver. If you know other papers I should reference along with these please feel free to point me toward them. The current Problem I'm faced with atm is understanding the Equations and applying them to the existing particle systems in Maya 2011. This is a field that with recent discoveries in Theoretical Physics , and the whole Dark Matter/Dark energy/Dark Flow. Has got me wanting to understand and apply these, as well as driving me to learn Mathematics/ and the many forms of Physics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your time,

c_worley

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For Example ... the process in which I would create the Star before it becomes a White dwarf for me is simple but the configuration of the collapse into a White dwarf and forces involved in making the particles collapse into the black hole as i don't understand the equations (I can grasp the concepts I just don't fully understand the math involved) is the issue for me. And even after I understand them I have the issue of transposing them into a form that maya can interpret, and act accordingly. I'm sure the task ahead of me is a daunting one, and I'm willing to take the time and effort to understand them. I just need some direction, and reference to the materials to learn the fundamentals involved in at least completing this task.

Last edited:

1. What are collapsed configurations of stellar mass?

Collapsed configurations of stellar mass refer to the end-stage of a star's life cycle, where it has exhausted its nuclear fuel and can no longer maintain its equilibrium. This causes the star to undergo gravitational collapse, resulting in a dense and compact object, such as a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.

2. How do collapsed configurations of stellar mass form?

Collapsed configurations of stellar mass form when a star has used up all of its nuclear fuel and can no longer generate enough energy to counteract the force of gravity. As the star's core collapses, it releases a huge amount of energy and the outer layers of the star are expelled, leaving behind a dense core.

3. What is the difference between a white dwarf, neutron star, and black hole?

A white dwarf is a collapsed configuration of stellar mass that is made up of electron-degenerate matter. It is very dense but has a limited mass. A neutron star is also very dense, but it is made up of neutron-degenerate matter and has a slightly higher mass than a white dwarf. A black hole, on the other hand, has such a high mass and gravitational pull that even light cannot escape from it.

4. How do we study and understand collapsed configurations of stellar mass?

We study and understand collapsed configurations of stellar mass through various methods, such as observing their effects on surrounding objects, analyzing their radiation emissions, and using mathematical models to simulate their behavior. We also rely on data and information gathered from spacecraft and telescopes.

5. Can collapsed configurations of stellar mass be observed directly?

No, collapsed configurations of stellar mass cannot be observed directly because they do not emit enough radiation for us to detect. However, we can indirectly observe their effects on surrounding objects and analyze the radiation they emit to gain a better understanding of their properties and behavior.