Stellar structure equations in Matlab?

1. Does anyone have a Matlab file for solving the stellar structure equations that they wouldn't mind passing along? I'm trying to settle an argument with a friend that they can't really be used to describe nuetron stars and I don't have much programming experience.

Thanks,

Alex

2. jcsd
  3. SteamKing

SteamKing 8,626
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear how a Matlab file is going to settle your argument. If your friend doesn't understand how the structure of a neutron star differs from that of a conventional star, I don't think he will be swayed by the file.

4. I just want something that can be used to give a numerical value for a given set of conditions and see how it differs from reality.

5. Matterwave

Matterwave 3,816
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you plan on applying the stellar structure equations to a neutron star though? It's not like a neutron star has all the same input terms as a regular star, but a different result arises due to different physics. The input terms would all (almost all) be different. If you modify the equations enough, you might as well just model a neutron star. I don't see how a matlab file is going to help in this case either...

6. Nevermind, forget I asked anything.

7. You can write code for a "cold" neutron star. Take a look at the paper, "Astrophysical APL - Diamonds in the Sky," hosted at http://nicmosis.as.arizona.edu:8000/PUBLICATIONS/WHITEDWARF_TOTV.pdf. Although the paper is for a "cold" white dwarf, you'll need to use the equation of state for a degenerate neutron gas instead of a degenerate electron gas. An additional paper to loock at is "Structure of neutron stars with unified equations of state" hosted at http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.6922.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted