Stellar structure equations in Matlab?

1. Does anyone have a Matlab file for solving the stellar structure equations that they wouldn't mind passing along? I'm trying to settle an argument with a friend that they can't really be used to describe nuetron stars and I don't have much programming experience.

2. jcsd
  3. SteamKing

SteamKing 10,363
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear how a Matlab file is going to settle your argument. If your friend doesn't understand how the structure of a neutron star differs from that of a conventional star, I don't think he will be swayed by the file.
  4. I just want something that can be used to give a numerical value for a given set of conditions and see how it differs from reality.
  5. Matterwave

Matterwave 3,849
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you plan on applying the stellar structure equations to a neutron star though? It's not like a neutron star has all the same input terms as a regular star, but a different result arises due to different physics. The input terms would all (almost all) be different. If you modify the equations enough, you might as well just model a neutron star. I don't see how a matlab file is going to help in this case either...
  6. Nevermind, forget I asked anything.
  7. You can write code for a "cold" neutron star. Take a look at the paper, "Astrophysical APL - Diamonds in the Sky," hosted at Although the paper is for a "cold" white dwarf, you'll need to use the equation of state for a degenerate neutron gas instead of a degenerate electron gas. An additional paper to loock at is "Structure of neutron stars with unified equations of state" hosted at

Hope this helps.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted